Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks :D. I added the gravel, and I don't know about you all but I love it haha. I was thinking, what if I got a nano tree, and put some christmas moss on it to overlook the "river"? Just a though haha.
Pics:
img_1124843_0_ea1b3e81e820083570005c43d83a8bc5.jpg

img_1124843_1_d6e1414524e9bbd1da83e362d39f99d1.jpg

that would be wicked cool. i was thinking of putting some moss on my DW on the high end in hopes it'd look like a nano tree

haha thanks, can't wait to actually get some plants lol. Btw everyone, I might get to get the ammonia tomorrow, but more likely Friday. How much do you think I'll need to dose for ~4.0ppm?

in my 20 gallon i dosed 2 cap fulls (i'd say about 2 tsp). i bet 1 tsp would do it. just add a teaspoon, wait an hour, measure ammonia, and adjust as necessary. just make note of how much you used to get it to 4ppm as you will want to dose it back up when it drops to 0.

I put two teaspoons in mine to get 4, but as mommy said if you want just add one and wait. That way you don't overdose like I almost did lol. The bottle I got at meijer's is huge and I am glad I had mor tanks to cycle because I still have a lot left lol. I would ship it to you if shipping wasn't so **** expensive.

haha, good to know. I have almost a whole bottle of ammonia from walmart that I wish I could use but it has surfactants :(. Hopefully my parents will still let me buy a new one lol. Idk what to do with it when I'm done as I don't have any more tanks to cycle and then I still don't know what to do with the one I have lol.

Any other anubias species that you could recommend for a 10g?

I think the best anubias for a 10 gallon aquarium is Anubias barteri var. nana. This plant is generally wider than it is tall. It fills in the foreground nicely. It won't compete with your crypts or taller plants - it will create some interest in the front area of the tank.

I also have had Anubias barteri var. nana "petite". It's a very nice plant also, usually only getting 1-2 inches tall. One of mine grew 5-6 inches tall with CO2.

Another nice anubias is the Anubius barteri var. angustifolia. They resemble crypts (which is why I like them!) Mine is about 6 inches tall. With this variety in particular, if I didn't dose iron separately from my micro ferts, the leaf tips would get brown.

Ok, thanks again a bunch! Do you have any pics of your tank? I'd love to see some :D. Might inspire me to do certain aquascapings with my tank lol.

Hey, I've been keeping up with the thread :rainbowafro: Lookin' good AQ!

Wow thanks. So I guess the pebbles are the focal point. Say I wanted to add some driftwood. How could I do so without messing with the golden rule?

According to other posts on that blog, you should make the driftwood lead away from the focal point, and to other areas of interest... So arrange the wood how you want, and plan to put your "showpiece" plants in the tank along the lines the driftwood naturally leads you to.

Hope this helps... that's just my understanding. If you check out the "aquascaping basics" on that website, it will explain what I said, but a lot better, and with examples.

ok cool. Thanks. I'll check it out again. Although, I was actually thinking about putting a nano tree in there covered with some weeping moss. Would like to get something like this lol:
10a_L.jpg

where the tree kinda hangs a little over the "river" of stones. Obviously, I'm going for a little different look than that, but I'd like to keep the tree idea. I kinda drew a schematic of what I was gonna do, but its just a rough draft, that I hope to improve on.

img_1125258_0_57fa5a8c2f98ecd7956aa792a97911df.jpg

That's my plan. Sorry about my really bad drawing/writing/copying skills lol. I had to make everything darker just for the scanner to notice it. Feel free to tell me what you think about it and what needs to be changed.

Btw:
Ammonia: .25-.5 :D lol
Nitrite: 0

added some more fish food since I don't have any ammonia yet.

Thanks nemo. Some of the crypts might be replaced with C. Lucens but other than that, anyone have any suggestions (particularly for the ?'s lol) or revisions?

Figured I would start following around some logs again so I came to this one haha :)

Yeah i've always wanted to do one of those nanotrees the first time I saw the picture year or two ago but struggled to find a good piece of driftwood so gave up haha.

One thing I learned over the years of doing aquascaping is to have a theme and try to give good depth. Try lowering the sand level in the front and lead up to the back is one trick I learned. Another one is to try to stay away from mix n match rocks and try to get similar looking rocks. Also try to use big to small rocks or small to big rocks with your hardscape to try to give another since of depth.

Just a few suggests I thought I would add. Aquascaping is all about personal choice and how you do art. Never base aquascapes off of soully what others say. It's all about trial and error. :)

I'll enjoy seeing the new plants come in :D

One thing I learned over the years of doing aquascaping is to have a theme and try to give good depth. Try lowering the sand level in the front and lead up to the back is one trick I learned. Another one is to try to stay away from mix n match rocks and try to get similar looking rocks. Also try to use big to small rocks or small to big rocks with your hardscape to try to give another since of depth.

Thanks. I did this with the sand the best I could, but I tried it with the rocks, and it just looked to forced to me.

Back
Top Bottom