Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The taller piece of dw was starting to peel and broke easily so its out. Might still use the smaller one tho. I'll also go out and look for more a little later, hopefully.

Edit: I found out the smaller one is a Prunus pensylvanica tree limb aka Fire or Pin Cherry. Anyone know if that's considered a hardwood or softwood? I think its hardwood, being a cherry, but not 100% sure.

I'm not sure about the hard or soft wood thing, but just an idea go out to some creeks or ponds or lakes, any bodies of water and look for DW in there, they are normally already water logged and somewhat safe for aquariums already.

So I today while walking by the creek there just so happened to be a birch tree. Some of the limbs were dying so I plucked em off and I hope to sand them and hopefully turn them into a nano tree :D. And I'm pretty sure that birch is a hardwood tree.

Went to my grandma's and guess what, the sandpaper didn't work. So I spent about 2 1/2 hours whittling away the bark from 2 of the limbs with my grandpa's swiss army knife, my favorites out of them all. One is a little long and a little tall but I think it would be pretty easy to make it a little shorter. Anyway, I'm uploading pics as I type :).

Pics:
img_1127788_0_4696048305fce6137d9da336c76414b9.jpg

img_1127788_1_f2a2c744f5f756806238ea4308fc0fc6.jpg

img_1127788_2_68e7c4c4ec32a3e99c2f26985b725839.jpg

please excuse the crappy quality of the photos lol.
There is still a few small pieces of bark but I don't think it'd be enough to really matter, and once it falls off, I'll net it out.

are you going to combine them to form one tree? i think that will look awesome. i'm starting to picture things.... can't wait to see how it works out!! :D!

Actually I was leaning more towards willow moss, but what do you think? Anyway, I can't wait to make my first plant order lol. And I feel the same way mommytron :D.

So do you all think that:
3 Ludwigia Repens
2 Rotala Indica
1 C. Wendtii
1 C. Wendtii
1 Java Fern 'Windelov'
and 1 C. Parva

could survive a Priority Mail trip from Southern Ohio? I'm not sure on the hardiness of these species, is why I ask. I would think they could make it, but I just wanted to make sure.

I would not go and purchase moss that isn't very common, example like Christmas moss or star moss. I ordered some of that Christmas moss and showed up months later, completely forgot I ordered it, and it wasn't in very good condition. Plus it never really grew anyways.

If your looking for some type of different moss your better off getting some from your backyard. Which I tried and had good success until I got a bad algae attack and never tried again.

Stick with your plan with the willow, and keep trying different mosses until you find one you like. If your looking for a flatter look go with willow or java, if your looking for something that grows more upright I would suggest some flame moss.

You should add some measurements as well for those sticks, they seem large in the picture for a ten gallon.

Add in about shipping:
Just make sure you get the plants from a reliable source. I received I very bad shipment before when I began to order a lot online and didn't worry too much about reliability and I ended up with just a bunch of stems. Some of the stems grew but most of the shipment was just mush and didn't receive anything for their screw up.

I have great news: I'm done cycling!!!!!! :D
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5-10
I took out the biomax I used to seed and I'll continue feeding it for the next few days so it will become stabler lol. Also about the plants, I've read it's a pretty reliable source from the reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom