Lowering NitrAtes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well all you wise ones that told me that my tank was cycling just perfect well you were absolutely right.... :D

My nitrItes are dropping nicely now and of course the nitrAtes are high..I did a PWC tonight of about 7 gal and its a 56 gal tank. I dont want to do a big one because of the nitrItes still working themselves out...i

Will the nitrAtes go down on their own also or is this something that only PWC will do? :?

Thanks Again

They will. There are excess nutrients in your system now. I would do a 40-50% PWC when your cycle is complete and add your first hardy fish.

Once your tank is stable you will get a feel for where your nitrates are. There are many ways tp keep them low such as, low bioload, wet skimming, light feeding, RO/DI water....

Do a hefty water change after your cycle completes and they will go down. You want to try and aim around 10 or lower, but a little higher won't be detrimental.

Whenever nitrates get high, do a water change and your problems will be fixed.

HTH

Thank you all once again...you have made saltwater not quite so scary to say the least...

Happy New Years to everyone!

Happy New year to You. Yes PWC`s are the key to lower nitrates along with the ones that Tomd mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom