Lowering PH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingtrees

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a planted tank that has just finished cycling. Ammonia is turning to Nitrates so I think that is going well.

BUT, my CO2 has been dialed in and my PH which was already about 7.4 is now sitting at around 8.0.

Is the only way to lower PH adding RO, distilled or rain water? Not planning on keeping African Cichlids...

Thanks!

Common ways to lower pH that dont involve using products like pH down would be driftwood or indian almond leaves in the aquascape, or peat moss in a media bag in the filter.

What i dont understand is your CO2 should be lowering pH. 1.2 pH drop for a high tech tank.

Hm, how much can a new tank flux with CO2 on or off?

Maybe substrate would raise it? Ecocomplete, I think, had something on the label.

Just tested tank vs. Tap

- tap is the slightly more full vial. They make all the colors so similar, I second guess myself a lot.1598029991849.jpeg

Also trying to figure this out - wasn’t sure what you meant by dialed in?

Off the top of my head - here the tap water is 7.8 out of tap and degasses etc to 7.4. The CO2 runs until 6.75 and then switches off so as not to gas fish. It’s not quite right as ph meters are old.

Is that your tank ph with no CO2 running? As that will lower ph.

Tap water can increase in ph as it degasses, etc. I’ve seen a few threads but it seems rarer. And any carbonate in rocks/substrate will increase tank ph.

Last edited:
Dialed in, meaning it is a new tank with a new CO2 system that I am learning to pair with my lights. No algae outbreaks yet! No fish either but soon.

The Carib Ecocomplete isn't supposed to raise PH but some reviews stated that PH did raise initially, so maybe I need to be patient.

Lake Michigan water is so good for making beer but so hard (literally) for fish...

I think(ish) that makes sense.

I’d get ph out of tap, then tap water after standing for 24hrs to degas, tank before CO2 comes on and then tank just before CO2 switches off. That should give a good tracking baseline.

I think(ish) that makes sense.

I’d get ph out of tap, then tap water after standing for 24hrs to degas, tank before CO2 comes on and then tank just before CO2 switches off. That should give a good tracking baseline.
Tried the experiment. A little miffed on PH at the moment but maybe learning a little.

PH in the morning before CO2 is 7.6.
PH in the evening after CO2 is 7.0ish.
Tap was the lightest at 6.8.
Degassed rose actually to about 7.0.

Picture is info above but left to right.

Guessing I might need to keep my CO2 on a little longer? Currently runs 9:30a-5:45p.

I have 24/7 lights so my solenoid may need some small adjustments. Some algae appearing but nothing major yet. Any advice is welcome and thanks for prior suggestions.

Rest of the tanks parameters this morning were-

Ammonia - .25
Nitrate - 5.0
Nitrite - 01598216246310.jpeg1598216286652.jpeg

Maybe earlier start for CO2 to be hitting what you want. Mine come on 3/4 hr beforehand (running either side of tank).

I did find with mine that the fish got very lethargic and not eating (surprisingly no gasping at surface) so had to dial it back from trying for a full ph point drop, else you could try for more.

Maybe earlier start for CO2 to be hitting what you want. Mine come on 3/4 hr beforehand (running either side of tank).

I did find with mine that the fish got very lethargic and not eating (surprisingly no gasping at surface) so had to dial it back from trying for a full ph point drop, else you could try for more.
Lot of trial and error, I suppose. As suggested earlier maybe I will try and find something for a media slot to try and balance the PH out a bit.

Will fish adjust okay to a PH swing of about .4?

If anyone is interested tank is balancing out; was a ph of 7.2 this morning and 6.8 after a pwc and CO2. Went to the lfs and found out I was using the incorrect ph test... the tap is about 8.0. Whoops.

Anyway, things are going well. Some diatoms in the tank and some pest snails seem to have came home with some plants.

Added a few new plants - a madagascar lace and some weeping moss. The lace is about to flower, excited.

Planning on some apistos or rams with loaches, plecos and some top fish (maybe galaxy rasboros, threadfin rainbowfish or some neat strawberry barbs I just saw.) If you can think of any other cool shoaling fish I should think about, let me know. Hoping to fill this 55 gallon with vibrant fish!1598480628752.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom