Lowering temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank temperature has fluctuated been between 81.3 to 82 degrees for the last couple of days and seems to be on an upward trend. It's currently at 82 degrees as of a couple of minutes ago (10:20PM EST), which is frustrating as the temperature in my house is 78 degrees. I'm 20 days into cycling the tank, and the fish I would like to have once the cycle is over all seem to prefer a temperature of 72 to 78 degrees.

I have my aquarium lights on a timer that turns on at 3:00PM and turns off at 10:00PM. I've unplugged my submersible heater, but this seems to have had no effect. I've got one Maxi-Jet 1200 PH running in the tank, fluorescent strip lighting, and other equipment that you can read in my signature below. I keep my home A/C thermostat set at 78 degrees. I really don't want to lower my thermostat any lower because I get cold very easily (I'm comfortable at 80 degrees). So... I need some suggestions for lowering the temperature in the tank. I've read that some people get fans and position them so that they blow across the top of the water. If so, what kinds of fans are these and where do you get them? Are they clip-on fans, or something more substantial? Does anyone else have any more suggestions that I can try? :roll:

Computer fans from Radio shack. I'd get the 12vdc ones and a 12vdc powersupply.

dralarms, how many of these fans are you using on your tank and how are you attaching them to your tank?

I'm having the same problem in my tank. I just used a clip-on fan and it cooled the tank overnight. Make sure you leave your heater on so your tank doesnt get too cold.

I'm not actually having a cooling problem right now (open top) but I'd get a small strip of wood (like a yard stick) and attach as many as you need and then you could hang them fron the light fixture.

A few weeks ago I had a major heat issue with my tank. I took a couple fans I got from lowes, the ones you put on your desk with the clip. I mounted those on the wall on either side of my tank. The blow air across the top of the water. My temperatures dropped greatly. My evaporation was quite a bit, but my temp stayed right at 78.

Back
Top Bottom