Lowering water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard5034

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.. joined today very pleased to see lots of people giving great advise, a very helpful site...
I recently set up a tank for my baby snapper. (see info in profile)
I am concerned about putting my turtle into this tank because I can not get the water temp to drop below 84f. after looking through the forum I c that 75-80 is best recommended temp.. Any advice is much appreciated on how to lower this temp.. Or is it as simple as just removing water and adding cooler water
Thanks in advance :)

Wow, is that room temp or do you have a light or something that it heating the water? Generally I've found that they do ok at room temp, but that is usually in the 70s. Removing water to replace it with cooler water is a pain. You could look into a chiller, but they are usually pretty expensive.

That's room temp.. I ended up changing water its now at 78... And yes I have a basking and uv light.. It stays around that temp most of the time now

Our water ran higher in temperature for a while also. Not all water heaters run true to what is labeled. We turned ours down and not it runs about 78* consistently. Also, as a side note, if our turtle (RES) happens to bump the heater, the temperature rises. Ours must be more sensitive to activity than others.

Back
Top Bottom