LR to Cycle Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put 50# of lr in my 55 gal tank to cycle it.The lfs told me not to scrub the rock because it would kill all of the living stuff. Against my better judgement I put the rock in without scrubing it. Now my nh levels are at 7.5 ppm and there is a ton of junk floating all over the tank. Do you think is will be ok. I am freaking out now.

TIA

well both of the live rock i have gotten i did not scrub. i left it all in the tank. i think my levels when up a little higher then if i would have scrubbed it but i think the life is with the risk. the fist batch i got i put it in my new 46 gal tank to cycle it. there was also a tong of stuff flying around the tank but in time that all settled down. after the cycle i got a clean up crew and they ate it all in a few days. just do a lot of water changes to keep the levels down. you could always take it out and give it a good scrubbing now if you really want.

You should remove any dead plant life or animals you see, such as sponges. It will still cycle as is, but it will take longer.
I would clean off the dead stuff. Do you have a mechanical filter to remove the junk?
Cheers

Don't worry about it...

I wouldn't be concerned about all the stuff floating around. You wanted the LR to cycle your tank and it is going to. Remove whatever is floating around....but just be patient...things will clear up.

Scrubbing that rock is only going to injure or kill other things that may still be alive.

At some point, the rock might start to even look moldy...again, that's the cycle and it will pass.

Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom