LT Stock Choices? Stories? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ill be setting up my first sw tank this weekend and ive been pondering what stock to go with for long term, im not big on switching out stock, i want to keep the first i get for long term, i plan to eventually switch all my tanks over to sw but as for now i have 7 tanks from 10g all the way up to 75g and the 36g bow front is the one im converting first. :ermm:

i was thinking a clown only tank with beginner corals and definitely some anemmonies (i think thats how you spell it lol) that way long term it will be a nice clown only tank. is this a good idea? i plan to switch my show tank from africans to sw and that one i want to do larger fish like tangs, in the words of my wife a "dory" and more advanced corals but thats way later on. :rolleyes:

any advice and stories will be appreciated guys, btw these tanks are both in my living room at opposite ends, so they will be getting alot of attention my wife always has people over and ive already swapped a few over to africans with my show tank so i plan to do the same with these sw tanks, i want to expand the hobby! :D

I suggest you don't use the bowfront. I see people having problems with cleaning them, and it makes the livestock appear bigger than they are. But if you like that, go for it!

Also, you can only have 2 clowns in a tank that size. If you were to get 3 or 4, 2 would pair up and kill the other clowns.

And as for "Dory" being in a 75 gallon, there's a lot of people here that vote against it. Tangs shouldn't be in a tank that size. There are some species of tangs that will love that size tank.

I started off with a 37 gallon. And I wanted to upgrade 4 months in. I suggest you turn the 75 into saltwater first. It's an amazing size for a saltwater tank.

Saltwater equipment is expensive!!! What I would do is use all the money that you would put into the other tanks and put it towards the 75 gallon and buy the very best aquarium equipment for it.

I suggest you don't use the bowfront. I see people having problems with cleaning them, and it makes the livestock appear bigger than they are. But if you like that, go for it!

Also, you can only have 2 clowns in a tank that size. If you were to get 3 or 4, 2 would pair up and kill the other clowns.

And as for "Dory" being in a 75 gallon, there's a lot of people here that vote against it. Tangs shouldn't be in a tank that size. There are some species of tangs that will love that size tank.

I started off with a 37 gallon. And I wanted to upgrade 4 months in. I suggest you turn the 75 into saltwater first. It's an amazing size for a saltwater tank.

Saltwater equipment is expensive!!! What I would do is use all the money that you would put into the other tanks and put it towards the 75 gallon and buy the very best aquarium equipment for it.

im still new to all this so dont quote me on fish stock yet, lol and as for the bow front i dont mind the cleaning, i take saturdays and so all my maintenance its relaxing lol weird to some people but i enjoy it, i build a relationship with my fish, like right now i can hand feed my africans peas and zuchinni, theyll swim into my hand and munch out, lol.

and i want to keep the 36g as a very lightly stocked tank for now just for show with 2 clowns is fine, maybe a bigger species of clown not the 1" kind lol (dont quote me) but id like to keep it a nano reef of sorts.

and as for the 75 i have to rehome all my fish, i have 18 fish in there now and ive lost count how much money i have in it, its wil be a sad day i get rid of em all, i love them like my children of the sea but that day will be way in the future.

Oh I understand!

Will you be doing a sump for these tanks?

I think 2 clowns, a fairy wrasse, and a yellow watchman goby would be excellent for this tank.

Check out some of the designer breeds of clowns such as the Black and white, Snowcasso, and the platinum clown.

Oh I understand!

Will you be doing a sump for these tanks?

the 75g will be getting a fluval 405 canister but thats way in the future, my 36g will have an in tank skimmer, and my hob system, with twin hydor koralia 325 powerheads, led lighting by me and so on.

I think 2 clowns, a fairy wrasse, and a yellow watchman goby would be excellent for this tank.

Check out some of the designer breeds of clowns such as the Black and white, Snowcasso, and the platinum clown.

this is gonna sound weird but i need the equivalent of the cichlid-forum profiles for all this freshwater stuff, my lrs told me they can pretty much order anything for me 9i already have their africans list lol) so im set there.

i still need some advice on stock guys, i like how that mix sounds mebbid, i have no idea what they look like but il do some research as always. again thank you all for all the great advice and pointing me in the right direction, i wont make any unannounced purchases without your consent guys! (y)

Back
Top Bottom