Lump on my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shope.hannah

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a small protrusion like lump on he back end of my platy. I can't get a great picture but will try to later. I have no idea what it could be. It's only on one side. It's small. And it is swimming and eating fine. Any suggestions?

I had something very similar on my platy...but it was by its head...it started out as a small lump and got bigger, acted fine for a long time...I just recently found it dead a few weeks ago...no idea what it was...

Well this is now making its scales protrude and looks a lot like something on the box of fungus medicine you get at the pet store. It shows different pictures of fungus and there are about 5 or so scales sticking out. What is this?

Sort of. It's not that pointy though. Yet. There are a few scales thought in a clump so that would make sense that that is what it's trying to do. Isn't that a form of fungus?

I've read about dropsy and it seems to be all over the fish? This is a spot about a centimeter if that. You can't see it when looking at it from above like dropsy is described. I can only tell when I look at it from that side. And that's only because I can see the difference in scales. Like a different texture.

He might be starting to dropsy. If your lucky and can get ahold of some meds you might be able to reverse it. Photos would really help though

Dropsy is typically signs of bad water conditions and honestly usually a sign of another disease you could do an Epsom salt dip and a large wc and treat with meds I believe clout is best for it

Okay. Yea it's only in a small spot so I'm hoping I can catch it early. I just did a large water change and had added salt just like I do every time. I will get some of that medicine tommoro

That link doesn't say anything about dropsy though. Will it still work?

I dont think thats used for treating dropsy....dropsy is an internal problem thus the medication must be given orally. I would suggest kanaplex by seachem. Its actually is used for treating dropsy.

No problem :) I've never used it for dropsy but I've treated columnaries with it and it worked like a charm. I'd really like to see some photos though if you could get any."

Ok in will try to soon. It's really hard to cause you can barely see it from the top and then the only othe way is from one side

To take photos I often had to hold my fish. I have large goldfish so maybe that was easier but maybe you could net them if there not too skittish or fast? Dont want to stress them out.

Yeah I would have to net him cause its a platy And a younger one at that. It's just hard to see but I will try hold on

Ok see what you can tell from these its the best I could get. Notice it's not even its stomach its more towards its tail but from above looks a lot like dropsy. Just can't see the details of the staggering fins from the pic

image-3672935712.jpg

Attachments

• image-3327160331.jpg
    image-3327160331.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2374590906.jpg
    image-2374590906.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom