Lump on Neon Tetras head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade_the_frog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Hope someone can give some advice. We have recently noticed that one of our neon tetras has a white lump appear on its head. I will provide a photo although not very good quality!. We noticed this around a week ago.
The growth appears to be white in colour. No other fish are effected.
I did some water checks today, ammonia, nitrites all ok, Nitrate around 20.
The tank is 90 litres. Has been set up around 3 months, fish have been in the tank around 2 months.
We are using a Fluval 207 filtration system.
Currently we have 13 neon tetras, 4 diamond tetras around 5 baby diamond tetras (the babies appeared around 3 weeks ago) we also have a few shrimp.
30% water change is being done every week. Currently feeding bug bites.

Hope this is enough information. Any ideas on what the issue may be? Do we need to remove this fish from the tank?

Attachments

• 1ECF13E7-AA8D-4826-ADA8-78B5857E0CA9.jpg
    1ECF13E7-AA8D-4826-ADA8-78B5857E0CA9.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 36
  • A3DD5CF8-E563-45FD-B315-68CB25696153.jpg
    A3DD5CF8-E563-45FD-B315-68CB25696153.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
One possibility to consider with anything like this if only one fish is effected is.....

Fish are like any animal in one respect, even humans.
That is, you never know what one will just develope some sort of abnormality, growth, etc.

If that were me, I would just get rid of that fish to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately we are not able to quarantine the fish as we do not have a another tank. Looking at it again today I feel the lump may be bigger so am thinking we may need to get him out. I’ve attached a photo. Do you think it could Neon Tetra disease?

Attachments

• 63058CE6-F4F0-4E15-9202-83DE9D03E19E.jpg
    63058CE6-F4F0-4E15-9202-83DE9D03E19E.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 279
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately we are not able to quarantine the fish as we do not have a another tank. Looking at it again today I feel the lump may be bigger so am thinking we may need to get him out. I’ve attached a photo. Do you think it could Neon Tetra disease?
It could be. Your original photo didnt suggest that, but that one looks more like neon tetra disease. Whatever, i think its not good.

If you cant isolate the fish you risk whatever it is spreading. I certainly wouldnt want to keep that fish with others. What about a 10 to 20 litre tote box? Small heater, maybe an airstone? Regular water changes?

As for treatment as you are UK, we cant get hold of the antibiotic treatments you might see suggested on sites like this unless you go to a vet. And its not worth going to a vet for a £1 neon tetra im afraid.

If you cant quarantine i wouldnt medicate the main tank, so i would up the water changes to daily to ensure the water is as pristine as possible and hope clean water can pull it through.

If you find you can quarantine then aquarium salt might help. As for medications, Esha2000 or Waterlife myxazin would be where i would start.

The other solution would be euthanasia as Joe suggests. My experience, small fish like tetras dont often pull through when issues become as pronounced as you are seeing, especially when you are as limited as we are on available medication.

Most often, , with Neon Tetra Disease, the fish will also begin to lose color, show difficulty in swimming, their body may become misshapen.
As I said, i would get rid of that fish...... it's only a common Tetra.....and keep a close watch on my other fish.
Better safe than sorry with aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom