Macro algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmancf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have macro algae in my Refugium and now it seems to be going to the main tank? How do I get rid of it in the main tank?

Yep, a fish (like a Tang, if you have an appropriate sized tank) would love the algae. Or you could also manually remove it yourself :)

Is there any crabs or another way? I need to get a chiller before I start adding fish

Marquis said:
I may be wrong but possibly an emerald crab

+1 my emerald and ruby both will eat long GHA and small hermits should to but the larger they get I've found the more they become carnivores

First off, it depends on the type of macro algae. There are some kinds that aren't very palatable to fish or inverts, and others that will drive them nuts.
Second, when you say "going into the main tank" do you mean that it went sexual, released spores, and it's now popping up all over the place? Because if that happens, you'll never get it 100% gone. Best you can hope for is managing it, or replacing the rock and sand. But if it's just that some pieces got sucked into the tank and took root, you can probably remove them by hand.

I got some blue legged crabs and they seem to help out a little. I need to get a tang. What's the easiest tang out there?

Back
Top Bottom