macro algea in sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added some macro algea cuttings from my lfs to the refugium portion of my sump, but I only have a regular output light (20 watts) over my sump. The lfs said that would be more than enough to grow out the macro algea, however the algea doesnt look so hot (its been a week). Do you think it will get better or should I remove the rest of it? Is 20 watts enough to grow the algea?

HUH... I bought a 28watt PC especially for mine..... I wonder if that will make mine grow faster???????

I have a 15 gallon sump with 40 watts NO, but I have grown caulerpa with as little as a 10 watt standard light bulb socket lamp with great results. Sometimes it just takes a little while for the stuff to settle in. I recently started a sump and my caulerpa looked god awful for about 2 weeks, then in what seemed like overnight it was overgrowing the sump. Just keep in mind that macro's will re-release all the nutrients they have absorbed into the water if they die off, so don't let it get too bad, you can always get more and try again.

Back
Top Bottom