Macscale's 55g Reef Upgraded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Brookster! I haven't been in freshwater in a very long time, but when I do, and I get some algae, I'll remember you. :p

Nooo! Don't even think of algae, it knows you fear it and it will feed on the fear..( I'll see myself out)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mac have you thought about doing a black out and running phisban or some type of carbon to reduce nitrates and phosphates

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am running Phosguard, but it's hard to see what difference it's making in phosphates with algae consuming it.
I haven't thought of a blackout though.

I'm currently removing and scrubbing the rocks ATM.

The tank has been completely cleaned out. It's sitting completely empty. All the rocks are sitting in buckets of water, and have been scrubbed.
Going to buy some new sand and make a much bigger sandbed. The old one had a bunch of algae in it, so I figured better to clean it out.
The pumps are being soaked in vinegar.
I'm still left to clean up the skimmer.

The goby I've had since the original 20g was moved to a friends tank. Along with the corals. That goby has survived two tank crashes, marine velvet an upgrade and an algae outbreak...

I'll send an update when the tank is back up and running tonight.

Maybe a gfo reactor should it happen again, sorry for the late response Mac , was the best man in my buddies wedding so it's been a crazy weekend. Good luck though, this tanks given you a lot of problems so I'd say your due for a nice easy re-start :D

How about setosa??? That's my favorite monti :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As promised the new FTS.

Worked from 9:30am to 9:30pm on this.

The scape looks rather small and empty, but all the original rock is was used in it. May have to do some editing or adding, but for now, I'll leave it be.

I think that first one looks good, maybe add a rock or two on the sand in front of the left arch, I'm envisioning a backwards J if you look from the top down with one even with the left most post of the arch and a second one a little diagonal of that one and in front of the arch with a few inches in between the arch rocks (if possible) should give a little depth (and a great place for some z's :p ). Make any sense?

Feeling defeated at the moment.
No phosphates are going into the tank, Phosguard being run. I leave for a couple hours, and somehow a whole bunch of hair algae was grown.
I think the rock may be leaching phosphate.

Well that's easy enough to tell, pull a rock and throw it in a bucket of fresh sw and test after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom