maingano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
quick question, i noticed that in my tank about 2 or 3 maingano are very dark black with blue stripes, and some are lighter, why is this? the darker ones are definitely more aggressive, could it be that they are males? i will try to post pics, not of my fish but of the color difference.

light fish.jpg

dark fish.jpg

I'm not too experienced with those but I think it could just be the lighter ones are subdominant. How old are they.

not sure exactly but they are all about an inch and a half, i got them 2 weeks ago. when i got them they were all about the same color the lighter blue.

I have 1 of those but I was told he was an electric blue johanni?? I'm confused lol here is a pic of mine

ForumRunner_20120127_001602.jpg

I always buy my maingano when they're young because mainganos are born blue where as the johanni (sp?) is born orangie yellow and males mature and turn blue.

I would say that if these guys are an inch and a half, they're maingano. The difference in color could be dominance or even better breeding parents. Whatever the reason, they're all pretty!

I have 5, some darker and some lighter, and given their size (3"+) I suspect they're all males since none are or have been holding eggs.

I have 1 of those but I was told he was an electric blue johanni?? I'm confused...

Electric Blue Johanni=Maingano=Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. If you have an electric blue johanni, you have a maingano.

Johanni=Melanochromis johanni (begin life as yellowish fish as Lady Alia indicated, but matured males are very similar to maingano's).

Back
Top Bottom