Major renovations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am changing my substrate to sand in my home tank this weekend. I would greatly appreciate any advice, warnings, or "heads-up":). I have ordered an aquaclear 70 that will arrive Wednesday. I'm adding live plants.
(29g).

You definitely will never go back to straight gravel once you switch, congrats! :)
Just make sure to wash the sand really really well and you won't have any problems. Be sure to post some pics as well!

You might want to turn off your filter while adding sand if there is water in the tank. Give it time to settle before turning it on so the impeller in your filter doesn't get damaged.

I usually go for the cheap stuff you can find at stores like home depot. It really depends on what color/consistency you want. For tan or white sand you can't go wrong with any brand of pool filter sand.

:thanks: Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted. Oh yeah, about how long does it take for the sand to settle? I have to move my tetra's and cory's to a bucket in the mean time.

If your putting sand in an empty tank, put a small plate or bowl on the sand and aim the water at that and you'll get little to no clouding. Did it in all my tanks and it works a treat.

Had a couple of delays, so I am just now setting up the new aquaclear 70 and getting the media seeded. It seems great so far, but my problem is the intake tubes. They are a smokey color and they stick out like crazy against my black background. Someone please tell me that I can find black ones that fit this filter:(I know it sounds trivial, but it's really bugging me.

Black Krylon Fusion paint will work to paint the tubes black. The only disadvantage to painting the tube black is you can't see when it needs cleaning.

Black Krylon Fusion paint will work to paint the tubes black. The only disadvantage to painting the tube black is you can't see when it needs cleaning.

I agree, I'll just have do schedule cleaning. I that particular paint easy to find?

OasisKeeper said:
Fusion is Krylon's plastic compatible paint. Most of the big box stores will have it. Maybe even Wally World.

I painted mine and it looks great. I will post a pic tonight when I get off work.

Here is my painted aquaclear tubes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111115_210430.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111115_210430.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20111115_210444.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111115_210444.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 110
Here is my painted aquaclear tubes.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! That looks so much better. I'm really excited about switching to sand this weekend. I was in Charlotte N.C. this past weekend and found a huge fish store called Fintastic's. They have absolutely everything aquarium related. Needless to say I was in paradise. I found an awesome peice of driftwood that is going to look great. So you see why I was disappointed when I saw how those intake tubes were going to be so noticable. What paint did you use?

I used flat black krylon fusion for the back of the aquarium and for the intake tubes. Makes a huge difference especially with black sand.

Bought the paint, and I've started washing sand...lots of residue! I don't want to have to do it all the day I change out, hopefully Fri. night or Sat. The dw is soaking in hot water and it is leaching(sp?) less and less tannins. I love the look of the wood but not tea water. I still have to find a centerpiece fish, and I still want an angel. I'm just so wary of buying one now after losing some.

Back
Top Bottom