Major restocking-want more breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K i have 6 tanks to work with, and i'm hoping to try to breed as many kinds of fish as possible. I started breeding mbuna, but only had 1 species and i didnt get tons of fry. And i've also bred some Victorian cichlids and did pretty decent with those, but now i just want to breed more to get a little more money for the hobby. Any ideas on breeding and fish? I'm open to all ideas and will at least consider any fish, but i need some that my LFS will take, and dont want anything like guppies that are too common and easy to breed. Here are my tanks:
125 african show tank- this will mostly show africans but i thought maybe i could breed BN plecs or Synodontis Petricola
55 gallon-open to any ideas of breeding on this one, but i have been looking into Lemon Jake peacocks
29 gallon-open to try anything to breed with
20 gallon- i was thinking maybe a fry tank, unless anyone has other ideas
10-probably a quarantine/fry tank
5-same as the 10 unless i can breed something in there.

Any ideas on good fish i can breed? (Sorry for the long post, hope you guys can help me out to try to get a little closer to at least breaking even on this awesome hobby!)

Oh and also, the 55 is in a main spot in our house, so i do at least want that tank to pretty nice, but still have lots of breeding!

For the 125 Petricola synodontis could work. In the 55 a breeding pair of angels would be a great addition.

I was also considering angels for the 55. Could i keep/breed something else in there with them?

Corydoras or bn plecos might spawn but you would need to remove the eggs and you could use the 10 and 5 for the fry. In the 29 some pelvicachromis would be nice

Never heard of those. What are they? And could i maybe do like some rams or apistos with angels?

I'm hoping to have at least more than 2 fish in both of those, especially the 55 since its seen the most.

Pelvicachromis is a genus of west African dwarf cichlid. Apistos might work

In the ten, Neolamprologus multifascitus. ( AKA multis shell dwellers.) they breed just as fast as guppies and where I live, no pet store sells them. ( I live in england so I'm not sure about America) you could do a colony of four 1m 3f and soon enough, you'll have plenty of fry.

Yeah i might do apistos, my LFS doesnt have a lot of them. As for multies, my LFS has them all the time and actually refuses to buy from people who bring them in, so i can't do those. Any other ideas for stocking/breeding?

Yeah i might do apistos, my LFS doesnt have a lot of them. As for multies, my LFS has them all the time and actually refuses to buy from people who bring them in, so i can't do those. Any other ideas for stocking/breeding?

Killifish?

Peacock gudgeons?
And peacock gudgeons sound like a really interesting idea!! Never seen them at my LFS and they look and sound like many aquarists would want them! Thats a definite one on my list! Tankmates? And would they be for the 29?

I'm thinking one of these:
Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma Cacatuoides
Apistogramma Schwarsaum
Apistogramma Agassizii

Based on my research, i heard these were good starter apistos, and relatively easy to breed. Plus they have great color! So these guys are definitely on the list too!

K i'm very interested in the peacock gudgeons and the A. Cacatuoides! Any other good interesting fish i could breed?

Do you guys think LFS's would take apistos? My LFS doesnt have them, and they are usually pretty good at selling decently rare fish.

For the 55 or the 29 I'd recommend Dalmatian Mollies. Very pretty fish that are nice and active if you want it in the 55.

I feel like mollies are pretty common. Good idea, but i'm hoping for some not-as-common fish! Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom