Making sure my 7.5 gallon is cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm in the process of setting up a new small 7.5 gallon tank in order to keep a small amount of guppies.

I've had the filter for this tank running in my main 17 gallon tank for 2 weeks now, so hopefully it's going to be chock full of bacteria, lovely.

However I want to make 100% certain when I move the filter across to the new tank that it's fully cycled and I'm ready to put fish into it, I've had dead fish from this situation before - not something I care to repeat.

Boots sell household ammonia - Boots Household ammonia - 500ml - Boots
Does that look like the right product? It does say "Ingredients: Ammonia" so I think it's pure.

What's the procedure to use that ammonia purely to test the function of the filter? Assuming that it's already cycled?

i.e. Could I set the filter running in the tank and then skip straight to the 'maintenance' part of the cycle in making sure that the filter can remove 1-2ppm of Ammonia in 24 hours? If so what sort of dose would I need in my 7.5 gallons tank? The Boots ammonia is 9.5% solution.

Back
Top Bottom