Malawi cichlids fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam Buxey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have recently finished my 5ft tank, in the process I purchased 4 Malawi cichlids 2 yellow and one blue with stripes and one dark blue with a tinge of purple.

The tank is at a very healthy state, all the filters are fully cycled, all the water parameters are good. The tank has been up and running for over 6 months and have only recently got around to finishing it due to family issues etc.

Very recently I have noticed 2 yellow and blue striped have been picking on the dark blue/purple fish, it's nothing major but just small fin nips and I don't want the fish to become stressed etc. I am unsure of their sex as I have been busy with work and have not had time to research about sexing Malawis, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations to stopping this, as I have read and been told they are less aggressive in larger groups? I would also appreciate it a lot If someone could inform me on an easy way of telling the sex? Thanks Sam.

People can tell you whatever they want but in my experience it's pretty much up to the fish. They are naturally aggressive. Lots of hiding spaces helps.

To curb aggression, definitely have lots of hiding spaces, and maybe have a few tall plants, so you can break the fish's line of sight and divide the tank a bit. Also you do want a lot more cichlids in there, especially if you have mbuna, because with the bigger group, one isn't always singled out. So I'd say definitely get more fish in the tank, more hiding places if you don't have enough, and maybe some tall plants.

There are many ways to sex a cichlid, but not all are completely reliable. The most sure way to tell is to vent it. If you don't want to vent, males often have many eggspots, and they have more pointed fins, compared to a female who usually don't have as many eggspots and more rounded fins. There are always exceptions though. Also, for many Africans, color is the difference between males and females. If you have peacocks and haps, males will almost always show a ton of color and females will just be a drab color, like silver or brownish. And with some mbuna, such as the pseudotropheus saulosi, the males will be blue, and the females will be yellow--there are many exceptions to this rule too though as some mbuna are the same color no matter what, and some peacocks and haps just aren't that colorful.
What types of malawis do you have? Peacocks, haps or mbuna?

I've heard cichlids become aggressive if they are in plain site of each other for to long, I would reccomend some DW and rocks, provide lots of distractions, obstruction, and hiding spots so they can get away! goodluck and post some pics!

Yeah I've noticed they do tend to come across slightly aggressive, no other fish tends to care about them in my tank. I was thinking just normal behaviour but I'm gonna keep an eye on them, now they've had time to settle in I think I'm gonna get a fue more as I love there colours!

I'd say no DW as africans like a high pH. I personally just use rocks. And what other fish are you getting in the tank?

I'd say no DW as africans like a high pH. I personally just use rocks. And what other fish are you getting in the tank?
Yeah i agree, i dont know much about cichlids, just how to deter aggression sorry for bad advice, but rocks definitely, and to save money you could always find and cure the rocks yourself (what i do)!

Yup! I'd just make sure you know they don't have chemicals or bad stuff on them, like don't get them from your garden! I got my rocks for my gallon out of a river! You could also just buy them from a landscaping place, which is a little cheaper than the LFS.

To curb aggression, definitely have lots of hiding spaces, and maybe have a few tall plants, so you can break the fish's line of sight and divide the tank a bit. Also you do want a lot more cichlids in there, especially if you have mbuna, because with the bigger group, one isn't always singled out. So I'd say definitely get more fish in the tank, more hiding places if you don't have enough, and maybe some tall plants. There are many ways to sex a cichlid, but not all are completely reliable. The most sure way to tell is to vent it. If you don't want to vent, males often have many eggspots, and they have more pointed fins, compared to a female who usually don't have as many eggspots and more rounded fins. There are always exceptions though. Also, for many Africans, color is the difference between males and females. If you have peacocks and haps, males will almost always show a ton of color and females will just be a drab color, like silver or brownish. And with some mbuna, such as the pseudotropheus saulosi, the males will be blue, and the females will be yellow--there are many exceptions to this rule too though as some mbuna are the same color no matter what, and some peacocks and haps just aren't that colorful. What types of malawis do you have? Peacocks, haps or mbuna?

I've got Mbuna's they've been in the tank for about roughly 2weeks or so. They get along with everything else fine! It does seem to me like there singling the blue/purple one out so I am definitely looking to get more, I've already got 4 so I guess 8 or more shouldn't be a problem, my tank is nowhere near over stocked as there is only a fire eel and bristlenose pleco. I have a fue rocks and a large length of guttering down pipe (was in there for the eel) but the fish also like to swim through it I have two large plants I'm thinking more rocks with hiding spots etc

K, yeah mbuna are the most aggressive types of malawi cichlids, you definitely want more and most people even overstock their mbuna tanks to curb aggression. Definitely watch them a lot to make sure that none gets beaten up too much. When i started out with mbuna, i had quite a few cichlids die from aggression because i didnt know i had to have a large stock of them. And they should do fine with the fire eel and pleco, but i'd say for now on just get other mbuna. Lets see some pics of the tank and fish though! Maybe i can help you with decorating and IDing.

K, yeah mbuna are the most aggressive types of malawi cichlids, you definitely want more and most people even overstock their mbuna tanks to curb aggression. Definitely watch them a lot to make sure that none gets beaten up too much. When i started out with mbuna, i had quite a few cichlids die from aggression because i didnt know i had to have a large stock of them. And they should do fine with the fire eel and pleco, but i'd say for now on just get other mbuna. Lets see some pics of the tank and fish though! Maybe i can help you with decorating and IDing.
I will definitely be posting some pictures up soon! for now its back to get more :D and some more rocks to make some hiding caves

I will definitely be posting some pictures up soon! for now its back to get more :D and some more rocks to make some hiding caves
Sounds good! Plus tanks are more fun with more fish and seeing them going all around the rocks! And they feel much safer.

I have post a small video but it's currently waiting to be approved, so until here's a picture but it's changed since this more rocks etc

Attachments

• image-2918584720.jpg
    image-2918584720.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 78
I would add more rock, like you said. Plus when a few if mine starting bullying, I will move a few rocks around and by doing this it will reset their territory and usually they calm down

Back
Top Bottom