Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris182

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

I seem to have a problem with algae growth in my tank. I was looking for advise on how to remove it or at least control it.

I have a 260L tank with about 22 Malawi cichlids and a "dinosaur" eel. I have fake plants and rocks within. I also use sand, a fluval 305 Filter and a uv pump thing which is supposed to help clear the water. I have tested water conditions regularly and preform pwc every week of about 20%. The tank has been running with fish in the tank for about 3 months now and is in front of a window (I know this is suppose to be one cause, but the tank I had there previously never suffered). I have recently cleaned the tank so it doesn't look so bad at the moment but within a matter of weeks it will be fairly heavily thick in algae again

Firstly is there any reason why I would be getting such levels of algae?

Secondly, how do I control the levels?

Your help is much appreciated guys and gals.

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Here are a few photo's of the algae problems I have

Attachments

• image-861480980.jpg
    image-861480980.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image-904636018.jpg
    image-904636018.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 220
  • image-2072248642.jpg
    image-2072248642.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 209
  • image-931310178.jpg
    image-931310178.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 229
  • image-2780115376.jpg
    image-2780115376.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 218
Im not a big expert on chemicals that could help, but maybe you chould buy a couple of snails. Those things eat the **** out of algae and keep the tank looking spiffy.

SP89 said:
Im not a big expert on chemicals that could help, but maybe you chould buy a couple of snails. Those things eat the **** out of algae and keep the tank looking spiffy.

I agree with you on that, my problem is diatoms, wonder if snails eat it? Bout to google it and see

Can I add snails with Malawi cichlids? I tried my large common pleco but they wouldn't have him on their so I removed it.

Chris182 said:
Can I add snails with Malawi cichlids? I tried my large common pleco but they wouldn't have him on their so I removed it.

I have a common in my malawi tank and they leave him alone. Hmm. My pleco takes care of any algae I may have. Sorry can't contribute

I tried snails with my Mbuna cichlids. They thanked me for the tasty snack. Even nibbled on the shells a little.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Cheers for that. Is there anything else out there I can try? I guess high waste levels would cause algae? I feed my fish twice a day, is that too often?

Is anyone else able to help? I have 22 Malawi cichlids and a bichir in the tank. Do I need to remove some fish to help control the algae? Lights are on from 9am to about 11pm with a break in between from about 12-5. No live plants in the tank due to Malawi destroying them. No pleco or any other such fish. The tank is directly in front of a window but unfortunately I have no choice but to house it here. I use a fluval filter 305 with pads/ sponge, carbs and bio max. I also use a uv filter.

diatoms are pretty much a given in any relatively new setup. Depending on the substrate, you may have diatoms forever. I've had them in my 150g for 2 years now. IMHO, they aren't a big deal. I ignore mine. They don't hurt anything. I just take the mag float to the glass before my weekly water change.

One thing you can do is reduce lighting. While I don't think this will help much, it's definitely not going to hurt anything. If the room is lit up during the day (you said there was a window), there's absolutely no need to keep the light on in the tank. My light comes on once every 3 days when I feed and thats only for about 15 minutes.

Chris182 said:
Cheers for that. Is there anything else out there I can try? I guess high waste levels would cause algae? I feed my fish twice a day, is that too often?

That is to often. Especially frozen food. Once a day and skip one day. Keep the variety mixed. I fee veggies three days meat three days. The meat is from frozen and dry food and veggies are fresh like peas carrots and potatoes( i know that isn't a vegetable).

from, Adam

Cheers, I don't feed frozen foods like blood worm as apparently malawi can not digest it properly? I generally feed them pellets for cichlid and flake every now and then. Never done veg before as I don't really know what I am doing. I know it sounds stupid, but do you cook veg first before feeding to the fish? Or just let them defrost? Or even give it to them frozen?

mfdrookie516 said:
diatoms are pretty much a given in any relatively new setup. Depending on the substrate, you may have diatoms forever. I've had them in my 150g for 2 years now. IMHO, they aren't a big deal. I ignore mine. They don't hurt anything. I just take the mag float to the glass before my weekly water change.

One thing you can do is reduce lighting. While I don't think this will help much, it's definitely not going to hurt anything. If the room is lit up during the day (you said there was a window), there's absolutely no need to keep the light on in the tank. My light comes on once every 3 days when I feed and thats only for about 15 minutes.

Cheers, yes I shall be keeping the lights off during the summer months to try and avoid algae growth lol. I use the mag float on pretty much a daily basis

I feed my mbuna New Life Spectrum cichlid formula... exclusively. Nothing else. It has everything the fish need to stay healthy, grow, breed, and color up. You're right, meaty foods are a definite no-no for mbuna.

As far as feeding, I most certainly would not feed twice a day. As I said previously, I feed mine once every 3 days. Once a day is pushing it IMO.

mfdrookie516 said:
I feed my mbuna New Life Spectrum cichlid formula... exclusively. Nothing else. It has everything the fish need to stay healthy, grow, breed, and color up. You're right, meaty foods are a definite no-no for mbuna.

As far as feeding, I most certainly would not feed twice a day. As I said previously, I feed mine once every 3 days. Once a day is pushing it IMO.

Thanks, you been a real help. How do I feed the fish veg? Do I cook it first? Would it contribute to algae?

I don't feed veggies. I never have. It is my understanding from people who feed their plecos that they blanch the veggies first. Can't say that I'd really recommend feeding your mbuna anything other than a high quality pellet.

Thanks again for help. I have a feeling I have mbuna and other types of Malawi in the tank. I didn't know a great deal about Malawi when I started the tank and the LFS sold me what they had ad didn't let me know of they go well together. From the photos above, can you tell which Malawi types I have?

Do you have any pics of the fish? I cant really tell from the photo. I also was given bum advice from the LFS and am currently trying to upgrade to a 125 gallon and I will have to rehome several of my fish. Like half LOL

Back
Top Bottom