Malaysian trumpet snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have teeny tiny conical snails in our tank. They look like Malaysian trumpet snail pictures I have seen, except that they are tinier (none above a few mm. in length) and are whitish rather than reddish.

Is there another type of snail that looks like this, or are these Malaysians? They could be babies, except that I've seen them for probably six months now and they never seem to get any bigger. They have that long conical shell, and they do burrow in the sand like the Malaysians do.

Just curious. Thanks.

Sift through your sand or look in your tank with a flashlight a couple of hours after turning out the lights...if those are baby MTSes (which they certainly sound like), you are bound to see some larger adults.

welll.. i bought 50 mts about 2 months ago and spread them amongst my tanks. at night i see these tiny lil thingy crawling on the walls and i know the mt's are breeding

That definitely sounds like baby Malayan trumpet snails to me. I had a few hitch a ride into one of my tanks and now I have enough to spread to other tanks. You normally won't see them moving about above the substrate until after the lights go out but sometimes you may see one or two moving around when your lights are on.

Thanks, everyone. I will try looking in the tank tonight to see if I can find some adults. I meant to last night, but somehow fell asleep and didn't wake up until it was light again. :fadein:

I am glad to know they are probably Malaysians. From what I've read, they aren't bad for a tank with sand. It's interesting to know that some people actually BUY them--these just showed up! Thanks again.

I tried to buy them from the lfs but the woman just tossed a bunch into a bag and said, here, free of charge. :D

well... some came in the crushed coral in the african tank (sand) and i got like 5. i got those for free. then i just bought the 50 for like 5$

im thinking of buying some on aqua bid, I cant find any lfs that sell them around here.

i also tried to buy one from my lfs and they just gave it to me. I started out with one and now have well over 100. Jherr...all it takes is one or two...see if they will give you a couple.

Ive heard you can control the population of MTS by how much you feed.. in other words if you want more just overfeed the fish a little, If you want less dont overfeed at all.. :mrgreen:

I bought some from aquabid and they all arrived dead....thats what I get for living in 110 degree weather....

that i am not sure of....I would guess it has a lot to do with environment?? I saw my first baby a couple of weeks later, but who knows how many, if any, babies there were before that.

lmw80 said:
i also tried to buy one from my lfs and they just gave it to me. I started out with one and now have well over 100. Jherr...all it takes is one or two...see if they will give you a couple.

ive been checking around, and no one seems to have any. Im gonna try some of the smaller LFS later this week. Even Big Als, which had bio spira and all sorts of stuff, didnt have any mts :(

Back
Top Bottom