Male betta- fin rot, tail biting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my male betta in a 2.5 gal for around 5 months. For the past few weeks, his tail has been looking really ragged, and a lot shorter than it used to be. Is it fin rot, or is he biting his tail? How do I help him? He's super friendly, and he always comes over to say hi when I go to the tank (which is why it was hard to get good pics of him). I want to help him- any ideas?
Here's a photo of a few days after I got him-
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445090287.103707.jpg
And here's him today-
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445090315.037709.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445090335.322145.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Betta fins are never going to perfect unless it's an empty tank.

I'd do some water changes on him and keep a close eye of it continues to get worse.

Fin rot 99% of the time is due to poor water quality.

Caleb

+1 for water quality

My male betta lived in a 2.5 for a year and at the end of the year had fin rot because the tank was just too small for him (he is huge in his defense). I upgraded him to a larger tank that was better able to maintain water quality and his fins healed up quickly.

I check my water quality in the 2.5 gallon my female is in right now all the time to catch any issues. Pretty sure she's in the same tank you have. Get an API fresh water test kit and you'll be able to monitor your betta's water and know when you need to give him a water change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. I've got a test kit, haven't used it in a while. Water changing tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on it. His color is a lot duller too- is this a bad sign?

My betta was dull when he was in his 2.5g at the end but he has colored up again in his larger tank. It may just be his time to move up in tank size. Honestly, I think bettas do good in the smaller tanks when they are young and small but as they get older and grow they need more room.

Fred (my male) was small when we got him and put him in the 2.5 and did well for almost an entire year and then he stopped doing so well and he was upgraded to a 6g that has live plants and little hiding spots for him.

Felica, my female is in a 2.5g right now and seems ok with it. I am moving her into a 10g I got for free and I'm expecting her to do much better as well.

Maybe try switching up his decor if a larger tank isn't an option. Sometimes a small change in decor will liven him up.

I also just realized that I have rambled and not really answered the question.

I'm not sure if it is bad but it isn't good. Bettas are vibrantly colored and when they start to go grey that's usually a sign that something isn't right (like maybe his water needs to be changed more often).

Ok so what is the tank temp? Bettas get pale if they are cold. For fin rot lots of water changes. Indian Almond Leaves may help as will a bit of aquarium salt but as was already mentioned very clean water is most important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes! Thank you Brennae! I didn't even think of that! Fred would turn grey when cold and he also would turn grey if his filter was too strong.

Yeah, I don't think I can get a bigger tank, but maybe I'll add another plant or something. I try to give him new stuff to look at outside the tank every few days or so, he seems to enjoy that. He's not very interested in his reflection, though.
He,s got a heater, not sure exactly what temp, but it works for sure.
I'm wondering if the filter is too strong. Especially when the water evaporates a bit, the current can get stronger.

Back
Top Bottom