Male Guppy - Bloated belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayahahn101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fancy male guppy (that I have had for about 20 weeks now) has a bloated belly. I have 2 fancy male guppies in a 10 gallon tank. the guppy has been bloated for about 2.5 weeks. He is pooping out long, white stringy poop. For the whole time I have had the guppies, I fed them flakes once a day. I have bloodworms but I don't feed them that at all. I went on a road trip for 2 days and when I got back, he was bloated. For 3 days, I thought he got fat by eating the leftover food on the bottom of the tank. I started to research about it and nothing matched the 2 symptoms I saw on the guppy. I fed him a cooked pea and he ate it but nothing has gotten better. Now he is swimming slowly and is always at the top of the tank except for when he sleeps. I tested the water and it is fine, and the other guppy is fine too. both guppies get along just fine. Also, about 4 days of him being bloated I started to feed them bloodworms and not the flakes. nothing is getting better. Someone please help me.

My fancy male guppy (that I have had for about 20 weeks now) has a bloated belly. I have 2 fancy male guppies in a 10 gallon tank. the guppy has been bloated for about 2.5 weeks. He is pooping out long, white stringy poop. For the whole time I have had the guppies, I fed them flakes once a day. I have bloodworms but I don't feed them that at all. I went on a road trip for 2 days and when I got back, he was bloated. For 3 days, I thought he got fat by eating the leftover food on the bottom of the tank. I started to research about it and nothing matched the 2 symptoms I saw on the guppy. I fed him a cooked pea and he ate it but nothing has gotten better. Now he is swimming slowly and is always at the top of the tank except for when he sleeps. I tested the water and it is fine, and the other guppy is fine too. both guppies get along just fine. Also, about 4 days of him being bloated I started to feed them bloodworms and not the flakes. nothing is getting better. Someone please help me.
Without any other symptoms except for the white stringy poop, I know that your guppy has worms. I recently went through a worm infestation and had to treat my tank with a product called PraziPro. There may be other products that will work well. With your 10 gallon tank, you would only need about 1/2 tsp just once. The product stays in the tank for about 5 days after which you can resume partial water changes. Once in awhile, the fish will lose their appetite (mine did) but it doesn't hurt the fish. Mine resumed eating a little at a time on the 5th day. Haven't had any problems since.

Back
Top Bottom