Male or Female Fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to find out the genders of my 1st batch of guppy fry, but it's been one of the hardest things fish-wise that I've ever attempted. They are about 6 weeks old now, and I've read that by 8 weeks the females and males should be seperated to avoid imbreeding. I think I can see slight gravid spots on a few, but they are light colored so it's very hard to tell. There are 8 in this batch, is it possible they're all girls? If I look at their fins, they all have the female look there. Any advice?

I'm trying to find out the genders of my 1st batch of guppy fry, but it's been one of the hardest things fish-wise that I've ever attempted. They are about 6 weeks old now, and I've read that by 8 weeks the females and males should be seperated to avoid imbreeding. I think I can see slight gravid spots on a few, but they are light colored so it's very hard to tell. There are 8 in this batch, is it possible they're all girls? If I look at their fins, they all have the female look there. Any advice?

I would even bother just now, save yourself the headache!!!. The males don't grow their gonopodium until around 3-4 months...They will all look female until then....

I would even bother just now, save yourself the headache!!!. The males don't grow their gonopodium until around 3-4 months...They will all look female until then....

Thank you:) I'm new at the whole baby guppy thing, so it's all been a learning process here.

Back
Top Bottom