male or female gbr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thong about taking a pic in a net is that the fish is probably stressed and lost a bit of it's colour...

so here is my rams side by side. you can see that the male has more yellow/orange on his cheeks and the female has a red belly. the female also has more black in her pectoral fins, they say males have no black but they often have a little bit.

I'd say female is on the top and male on the bottom. They basically look like my male and females. The best way I found way to look at the first few ray of the dorsal fins. The male fin turns back and extends over the rest of the dorsal fun. The female fins tend to just go straight up and not bent back as much. The females also tend to have more of a rounder/plumper look to them and also the pink bellies. The black spots in the blue on the side tends not to be a good indicator for the sex of a fish. When stressed they will have different colours and all of my GBR in the past tend to colour up more in a few weeks of being in the aquarium. Although being said my males did not have black spits in the side but sometimes would look the same as the bottom GBR. But then would colour up as the day went on.

Yes the female is the top one. Im not trying to sex them I know they are male and female. I posted the pic so the op has something to compare his to.

Heres my new one. Hes probably stressed because the female keeps chasing it. He/ she does not have much color.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110918_141645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110918_141645.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
I would say female as well. My female was aggressive but so was the male I guess. I female would chase my male more even though it was twice it's size

Back
Top Bottom