Male Platy Stressed? Not doing Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a problem with my male BumbleBee platy, his name is Dumbledore. He is in my tank for about a year. Usually Bully, but he thinks he is the protecter of the tank.
Currently he is sitting at bottom, not eating at all. Barely swimming at all.
No visible problem, except he is sitting at bottom, not eating and do not want to swim, rapid Gill Movement.
I noticed it because, when I feed them Saturday morning , after starving them Friday, he was not willing to eat. No body attacks him. Temp 78. Regular filter. I change them usually once a month.
Here is the condition of my tank:
No change in tank condition for more than a month. Water parameters are ok. Other fishes are fine. Not over populated.
I made a hospital tank last night with aquarium salt, no change. He is a male, so he is not pregnant. What I feed them once a day:
Monday -- flake food, Tuesday-- Peas, Wed-- varies, Thursday-- Frozen Bloodworm, Friday--- No food, Saturday -- sinking wafer, Sunday varies.

I do for that I can stay in routine of peas and skiping food on once a week.

10 gallon tank. I do water change twice a week. 2 gal on Tues and 3/4 gallon on weekend.
Please help. Can not find answer to my particular problem.

Last edited:
keka said:
Hi, I have a problem with my male BumbleBee platy, his name is Dumbledore. He is in my tank for about a year. Usually Bully, but he thinks he is the protecter of the tank.
Currently he is sitting at bottom, not eating at all. Barely swimming at all.
No visible problem, except he is sitting at bottom, not eating and do not want to swim, rapid Gill Movement.
I noticed it because, when I feed them Saturday morning , after starving them Friday, he was not willing to eat. No body attacks him. Temp 78. Regular filter. I change them usually once a month.
Here is the condition of my tank:
No change in tank condition for more than a month. Water parameters are ok. Other fishes are fine. Not over populated.
I made a hospital tank last night with aquarium salt, no change. He is a male, so he is not pregnant. What I feed them once a day:
Monday -- flake food, Tuesday-- Peas, Wed-- varies, Thursday-- Frozen Bloodworm, Friday--- No food, Saturday -- sinking wafer, Sunday varies.

I do for that I can stay in routine of peas and skiping food on once a week.

10 gallon tank. I do water change twice a week. 2 gal on Tues and 3/4 gallon on weekend.
Please help. Can not find answer to my particular problem.

Sorry he's not feeling well. Are you using a liquid or strip test? What exactly are your test results; 0 ammonia & nitrites, <40 nitrates? How many fish are in the tank & what kind? Is your filter aerating the water well enough? Most on here will say don't change out the filter until its falling apart because it can cause a mini cycle. Are you positive the tables haven't turned & he's not getting bullied?

I have liquid ammonia test (Aqueon) and strip for both ammonia and Nitrate and nitrite, Ph, hardiness (5 in one) . Ammonia and Nitrite is 0, Nitrate under 20. Before I moved him to hospital tank, I treated my tank with Coppersafe, Metafix. Water change for 7/8 gallon. about 80%.

Usually I am so careful, my parameters do not go much high anyway.

I have 2 other female platy and 4 danios. 2 male guppies, they are small though, not yet full grown. I also have another 10 gallon tank with One male betta. The only thing is changed, I moved my cory fish to Betta tank for my betta was lonely. I do not think Dumbledore is missing my cories. He is really bonded with my sunset platy named Carina, he does not like my panda Platy. No, he is not getting bullied, because He is not after Carina, and my panda platy was trying to get attention for long time, he is not interested. My guppies are trying to cross-breed with platies, Dumbledore makes sure his "girls" are protected.. so much drama.. now he is sick.. don't know what to do, and what is wrong with him!:(

I just noticed, he is not pooping either... he did not eat for 2 days straight now.

Thank you for your concern..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom