mammogram...yikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...so I am freaking out a bit...I found a lump and have a mammogram today. I am only 35, did I say that? ONLY 35, well I am only 35 which to me is young. Too young to be needing a mammogram at least. I was fine up until this very moment where I feel like I am going to throw up and have diarrhea. I have told myself for the past week, it is nothing. You can't worry about this...not yet. There is no need to freak out. I am taking the proper precautions to get the tests done so there is no need to freak out. I have a very heavy family history of breast cancer, that is why I think I am beginning to panic. You know how you say when you watching TV and a sad story comes on," Wow, that sucks, glad that doesn't happen to anyone I know" I feel like that has been what everyone has said about my whole gyn history. 7 pregnancies, yet 2 children. Yes that means I have had 4 miscarriages and 1 ectopic pregnancy where I lost my left tube. I have had crazy bleeding issues and needed an ablasion (which to some of you who don't know is where they scar the uterus so you don't have the monthy thing)...well I had to have that done...TWICE because it didn't work the first time...this is my history. I feel like saying to someone...isn't my time done! I'M DONE with the problems...Is this a cruel joke to see how much I can handle...ok, ok, I get it. I have had enough, I am at the brim here...

Well, it is time to go to get my mammogram done. I feel alittle better, shaky hands and sweating, but feel better now that I got my feelings done on paper. Thanks for listening, if anyone has had this and knows how I feel, please a great set of some inspiring words until the tests come back would be great...thanks so much!

Hey, look at it this way. You made it all through the rest of the problems. Shows me you are a fighter and will get through this.

Good Luck!

Best of Luck!!! You will be in my thoughts. I am sure that everything will be good. After all you have the greatest bunch of fish people on the web rooting for you.

Okay, a word of encouragement from one chick to another who has been through something similar. I'm adopted and I don't know my family history, but my adoptive mother had breast cancer (diagnosed in '97)....so it weighed heavy on my mind when they found lumps in my breast in 1998. I was only 26 at the time and they ordered a mammogram. I had the mammogram (very painful) and they still couldn't tell anything, so they ordered an ultrasound. When they did the ultrasound....very little showed up. Conclusion....I have that monthly cycstic breast deal where, in response to the monthly girly hormones, my mammary glands (to avoid the *beep*) become very dense and cystic. I have my doctor keep a very close eye on them and will probably start having regular mammograms next year at 35....5 years earlier than recommended, but I'd rather do that than the alternative.

Keep a good thought that you could have the smae situation going on and try not to think negatively (easier said than done right?). It's hard I know, but everything could be fine. I'm no Pollyanna here, just letting you know that it does turn out okay, so it's early to get really upset. I'll keep a good thought for you. Let us know how it turns out...we're here ofr you.

FWIW, My sister who is 18 is having similar problems, however they are simply cysts. A coworker of mine, who is 21 has been having recurring breast cancer since she was 18 and has already had two surgeries to remove them. Not trying to scare you...but just sharing my experience. Luckily, it does not run in my family.

My words, is that you are better safe than sorry. And better catching it early, which you obviously will be if anything shows up. You are doing the best for your body right now, you should feel good about that. The younger you are, the easier it is to cure. You'll be in my thoughts for a safe outcome.

Remember to embrace the positive in everything, and that will surely help in your thoughts.

Thanks so much to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. The test wasn't bad at all, didn't hurt but a little pinch for a few seconds...(heck I went natural with my kids so it couldn't be that bad right?)

I should find out more by Friday, so to each of you...a hats off from me and a big hug...you all are the best fishy friends a girl could ever ask for! :)

Dang, they must have improved the technique in the last 8 years. I had my son totally natural as well (not even a Tylenol) and my mammogram hurt like heck. I must be sensitive in that area.

A thought: I wonder why the censoring program on this site allows the word "breast" in singular form, but not plural....with an 's' on the end? Just interesting, I thought. It's okay to discus one breast but not two at the same time. :lol:

crazyred said:
Dang, they must have improved the technique in the last 8 years. I had my son totally natural as well (not even a Tylenol) and my mammogram hurt like heck. I must be sensitive in that area.

A thought: I wonder why the censoring program on this site allows the word "breast" in singular form, but not plural....with an 's' on the end? Just interesting, I thought. It's okay to discus one breast but not two at the same time. :lol:

more than one just causes problems... and we dont want problems on the boards no do we? lol

I hope all goes well - my mom found a lump in her 30s and had several biopsies but it turned out to be nothing - here's hoping that this too turns out to be "nothing"

I agree that is better to be safe than sorry. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer at 33 years old. She refused to give in, it's be 9 years and she is still in remission. Her cancer at the time was stage 3. State of mind counts for a great deal IMO. Good luck and I'm sure that your tests will be just fine. Probably cysts.

I went through this two summers ago and like you, since its in my family, I was all the more concerned. Fortunately it turned out to be benign and I hope that this is the case for you too. But the stress of waiting is difficult and there's probably not much we can say to change that. Good for you for being pro-active. With my sister they just went right in, took it out, and she has been fine since (about 8 years).

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Well, they found a pretty good sized lump and want me to go back for an ultrasound. They tell me this on a friday, Memorial day weekend and can't get me in until next Tuesday, so the wait is on. So far, I feel like I don't control my destiny so there is nothing I can do until I find out more info...

Hope you all have a great weekend, be safe
Ginger

It can still be nothing. My doctor found my lump and I was so alarmed by her reaction to finding it that I was sure it was bad news. But when I had my ultrasound it turned out to be just a lump and nothing more. I am so sorry you have to wait until Tuesday. I know its ridiculous to say try to have a good weekend, so just try to take care of yourself.

I agree with Elle...they ordered an ultrasound for me after my mammogram and it turned out to be nothing but cysts. It does suck to have to wait, but it can still be nothing. Hang in there and be positive. We'll keep a good thought for you.

Hey Ginger,
I am also young (at least I like to think so LOL) and having the same issues crazyred spoke of. I had my first mammogram at 29, and they did the whole "we found a lump, we need an ultrasound...but you must wait and be stressed for a few days first" thing. Like some of the other ladies said, cysts and such.
Good for you for taking your health into your own hands and not taking the party-line for an answer. If you aren't completely satisfied, keep digging. I'll keep you in my parayers and wait to see you post a good report.
((((hugs))))

got the results from the ultrasound today, looks great! Enlarged lymph node...just need to go back in 6 months to recheck...thank god...

thanks for all you support and prayers through this!

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom