Man I'm dumb!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know why I did this but I did. You know when you want something new in your tank, you just want it and there is nothing that is going to stop you, well maybe its just me. Anyway, I had a 5 year old fw 33gl tank that was running fine, I got tired of it. I decided I wanted brackish. So, in my head I knew that I should start from the beginning, cycle and all. But I decided to lie to myself and figured that if someone else told me that I could just convert my system without a problem, then I would do it and blame them for any mishap!!!

Well, salt water kills freshwater bacteria!!
So basically I started from scratch anyway, but with 4 puffers and 2 bbee gobies in there with it all. The addition of the salt for brackish killed off the biological fw filter sponges and created a nice ammonia soup. So after two weeks of daily 20% water changes and ammo lock and everything else under the sun, I am FINALLY starting to get diatom blooms.

The great thing in all of this is that I did not lose any fish, I spent quite a bit on salt and supplements , but no fish loss.

The lesson learned, go with your gut and take the time to do things right the first time, you'll save yourself a lot of grief!!!!

P.S.
Please someone tell me that the diatoms are a good sign and all of this is coming to an end.

Back
Top Bottom