Mantis, right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theatrus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Noticed this thing cruising around my Xenia tonight. Pulled the rock he went into, put it in a bucket of saltwater, got out the turkey baster, used some RO water in a few holes, and out he came.

I assume this is a mantis? If so, this might be the reason my royal gamma went MIA over the weekend (no signs of it anywhere)?

mantis.jpg

Sure is a mantis. Nice coloring. Looking at the front limbs, it appears to be a smasher variety (noting the flattened, enlarged ends). So I doubt this is the cause of your royal gramma mystery.

Interesting... Now I just need to figure out some place to donate him to.

Well, thats what I get for going away for the weekend... a missing royal gamma :)

Hmm, and for some reason it decided to put the same picture up twice for me... odd

Yes, definitely mantis...but not necessarily the guilty party in the death of the fish. I have personally seen a smasher-type mantis go after a fish, but he wasn't very successful at killing it.

Good that you got him out, though. They can be troublesome. Get a little 5 gallon and keep him. Mine lives quite happily in a 2.5 gallon with no heater, and only 1 powerhead and a lump of LR. (OK...maybe he's not happy...cause he has no playmates and his accomodation is a bit sparse...)

How big is he??

PS. Is it safe to say, if there is no clicking in your tank, you have no mantis??

If you are willing to part with him I will take him off your hands. I have a tank for just mantis shrimp and would love another. I will pay for shipping where are you from?

Mine was silent. I just happened to see him one day. That along with some smashed snail shells gave me a clue. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom