Many driftwood questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kntry

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been looking for a Manzanita root/stump with longer roots and can't find what I'm looking for. Attached is a pic of what I'm trying to recreate.

What types of roots/stumps can I use besides Manzanita? Are there ones to stay away from?

If I use individual branches, how can I attach them to a slate to make the stump? Is there a way to attach individual branches to other branches?

Attachments

• CHARM-OF-LIGHT.jpg
    CHARM-OF-LIGHT.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 410
Yes. Aquarium safe silicone is used by many to create custom hardscapes. That way you can create the perfect shape instead of trying to find that perfect piece that you seem to never find. Manzanita is the best one I've seen for the long branchy features. OS.

+1. Aquarium silicone is used by many. You try looking around online? I've seen a lot of manzanita branches for sale on a bunch of websites. Both large and intricate branches and stumps. I also think manzanita is the best for long, wavy branches though every once in a while you may stumble upon a good piece of malaysian driftwood or other types of bogwood.

I can't find anything that still has the long roots attached.

I just dug up a dead Red Oak tree that I'm wondering if I can use. It died last year. I can boil it and put it in the oven, if necessary. I just don't know if they're fish safe.

Yes, then I could make the tree trunk as thick as I want it. Individual branches are hard to find and the ones I have found are straight.

I've been online looking for 3 weeks now and can't find anything. Most are small branches that look like bushes.

The only time I found something close, they would only sell them in lots of 200.

My driftwood stump is flipped upside down. The roots are the branches in my aquascape.

Exactly! That's what I want to do but can't find a stump. Where did you get yours? What kind of wood is it? Can you post a pic?

Mine is a stump from a rose bush... soaked, brushed, rinsed dozes of times before introducing it into the aquarium.

LOL, my husband said to use a rose bush but I didn't think it would last underwater.

Yes, I've looked there but I don't know how to attach them to a piece of slate. Can they be drilled and screwed on to the slate and onto each other?

I bought a diamond tip drill bit to drill a hole through a piece of slate. It didn't work with my cordless drill motor or the one that plugs in. So I borrowed a hammer drill, a type of drill motor used for masonry. It worked great. Then I switched to a smaller regular wood bit in my cordless, and drilled pilot holes into the driftwood. I used stainless steel screws, they didn't cost that much more and I avoided the risk of rust.

For clarification, I used a hammer drill WITH the diamond tipped bit. Had to have both to get through a very hard piece of slate.

I have a hammer drill and diamond tip bit for drilling tile. I know how to drill a hole in the tile but wasn't sure if I could drill and screw this wood. A lot of dried wood will split when you try to do this.

Can you use Maple, Oak or Pine roots?

Thanks for all the advice.

Sandy

Aha! Now I understand your question. I don't know the answer. Just guessing, I think that if it is a wood that people commonly use for aquariums, and you drilled the appropriately sized pilot home for the screws you will be using, you should be okay.

No problem. When I did this, I cut the trunk of the wood so that I had a flat surface to match to the flat surface of the slate. Drilling into that flat, cut portion of the wood makes life easier, and something tells me it is less likely to split.

Back
Top Bottom