MANY questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrCory

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So how often should I put cuttlebone in my tank and how long do I keep it in for and when should I take it out.Also is my stocking ok for my 10 gallon? 5 Amano shrimp 1 mystery snail. 6 neon tetra.and also what is a cheap easy way too fishless cycle a shrimp tank.

I was told there would be no shortage of answers and this thread hasen't gotten one.

I would like to know about the cuttle bone too . As far as your stocking , I would say you are ok , but we need more info...type of filter for example . Go to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and it will give you a ballpark % of stocking . I always use Ace Hardware PURE ammonia to cycle my new tanks . I use a syringe and the ammonia calculator at the bottom of this page...
Calculator . Hope this helps and we both get an answer the cuttle bone question...lol

I would like to know about the cuttle bone too . As far as your stocking , I would say you are ok , but we need more info...type of filter for example . Go to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and it will give you a ballpark % of stocking . I always use Ace Hardware PURE ammonia to cycle my new tanks . I use a syringe and the ammonia calculator at the bottom of this page...

Calculator . Hope this helps and we both get an answer the cuttle bone question...lol

Agree with all that advice. Another way to quickly cycle a tank is if you can get any filter media or other matter (decorations, substrate, etc.) that has been in a cycled tank - if you have enough, you can get an almost instant cycle.

As for cuttlebone, I just break off a small piece and leave it in the tank. It will dissolve/get nibbled on over time, and you can add more. You can also put a piece in your filter. As far as I know, there is no need to remove it.

Another alternative I have seen to fishless cycling is by putting gravel from an existing tank in a NEW nylon or knee high... (no detergent or fabric softener that way, that will poison your fish) and then keep that in the new tank for a few days. That way the bacteria will leech from the gravel in the nylon to the new tank. :)

Ok thanks :) also the reason I take cuttlebone out is I have shrimp and I read too much calcium can kill them by crushing their insides.

Ok thanks :) also the reason I take cuttlebone out is I have shrimp and I read too much calcium can kill them by crushing their insides.

Interesting. I don't know anything about that. But I think a small piece of cuttlebone in the tank wouldn't be enough to raise the calcium too much - it hasn't seem to have hurt my shrimp (or snails).

Back
Top Bottom