Many tiny bubbles and a "film" on water surface.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I fret a lot about the happenings in my tanks, but this popped up out of nowhere so I am just curious. I woke up this morning to find a film on the surface, along with tons of tiny bubbles on the whole left half of my tank. What is it?

img_827698_0_88145a675745f94fa858dac38fdf16c7.jpg

img_827698_1_d39767b4aa33ec2fa0da68cb4d0e4d47.jpg

img_827698_2_0821108bbf58a385baf2f805a89128d3.jpg

My tank has a slight film on the top in places too, and some bubbles as well. My fish are all happy and healthy, though. Probably just "nature"?? Maybe someone else can define that, though. ;)

I understand it's nothing to worry about, I just like to learn :). I was talking to WaterPond in the chat and he told me that it is nothing to worry about as well. Thank you both.

Does it go away though?

My mum's tank has something like it, the fish are perfectly fine though and the bubbles are quite interesting to stare at while they swirl around the surface... :D

It's a film on the water. It's nothing to worry about. It's not like saltwater tanks, where the film begins to interfere with the absorption of oxygen across the water surface. Regular water changes should keep things clean enough for that purpose. If it bothers, you use a paper towel and blot the surface of the water.

It's a film on the water. It's nothing to worry about. It's not like saltwater tanks, where the film begins to interfere with the absorption of oxygen across the water surface. Regular water changes should keep things clean enough for that purpose. If it bothers, you use a paper towel and blot the surface of the water.

Yeah, I'd guess it's a slight protein buildup on the surface from food, hands in the tank, etc. Then that traps bubbles from the water coming out of the filter. If it's protein the one downside I can think of is that the decay will release some nitrogen, but probably not a significant amount. If it gets really bad, or bothers you, you may need to work on a system to get surface agitation on the surface (perhaps a powerhead).

Back
Top Bottom