Marimo moss ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I was thinking about adding a moss ball to my tank and I was wondering what it is and what it takes to care for them?
Thanks!

Hi I was thinking about adding a moss ball to my tank and I was wondering what it is and what it takes to care for them?
Thanks!

They're just balls of algae lol.

I had 1 and I ripped it into 3 and now they're slowly, but surely, growing into 3 full sized moss balls.

The only type of care you have to do is just flip them over whenever you do a water change :p

because it is algae, can it spread to the walls or gravel? Is this a stupid question?

Ok thanks! I really think I will look into getting one :) I like the fact that they don't need special care like co2. One more question, will they give off oxygen like other aquarium plants?

because it is algae, can it spread to the walls or gravel? Is this a stupid question?
Not a stupid question at all, and as far as I know, they don't spread just grow to get a tiny bit bigger over the course of multiple years.

Ok thanks! I really think I will look into getting one :) I like the fact that they don't need special care like co2. One more question, will they give off oxygen like other aquarium plants?
I'm not too sure about that, but I do know that they suck up a decent amount of nitrate.

Agreed with previous posts. It is super easy to take care of and they look great! It also suffocates other algae in your tank, sort of competing for nutrients. Good aid with nitrates.
Here is mine

Attachments

• image-1705829525.jpg
    image-1705829525.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 100
I'm getting a moss ball!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to be out, so I decided I am going to buy one! I will just go to my local petsmart and see what they have. What should I look for in a healthy moss ball?

Just make sure it is a bright green color (a healthy color for marimos) and no yellowing. Once home, I would recommend drain the water out of the cup it is in and put water from your tank and soak it for like an hour. You can gently squeeze it and you will see some dirt coming out of it.

And it is good to go! They are so fun, you will love them. Good luck ;)

Thank you! I can't wait to bring it home! I will post pic when it's in the tank :)

I am also interested in this. I'm a total newbie and am still cycling my 20 gal. Will the moss balls tolerate different parameters like salt? I plan on having gold fish.

Thank you for all of the info!!! I have great news! I got one!!! Here are some pics! Thank you everyone that posted! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388452004.545272.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388452017.694400.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388452050.182357.jpg

Back
Top Bottom