Marine ich. Treat all fish or just hope it goes away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been a while since I've posted on here mainly because of how busy my day to day life has been and not to mention the extra care and attentions I've needed to give my fish over the last 3 months.

Yes 3 months of ripping tanks apart, selling coral because it got in the way, setting up quarantine tanks, performing water changes every day etc etc.

I hope that any of you that are reading this will take this on board and start doing what we ALL should have done from day one..... Quarantine your bloody fish!

I've been there and made the mistake so I'm no better than anyone else out there trying to battle ich or white spot. We all think we can just do water changes and make sure we feed them well with garlic soaked food and it will either all go away or we can control it. Well what happens when you add that fish you really love and it causes a little stress in the tank and boom.... White spot outbreak..... Or what if you want a powder blue tang or an achilles tang, can't because they potentially could wipe out your entire system of fish by a god almighty outbreak of ich. This actually happened to me.

I decided that I wanted to sort this problem out once and for all and take a vowel of quarantining all new fish after treating every single one of my fish for white spot. I sold all my coral because it was just in the way all the time. Set up a quarantine tank and started hyposalinity. I don't use copper but I am not against it. I had no real quarantine system set up with a cycled filter which meant I had to do daily water changes sometimes of almost 100%. You gotta really watch your parameters here. No filtration means lethal water chemistry if not looked after correctly.

After 4 weeks of my fish being in hypo I started to raise the salinity slowly over 4 or 5 days and then put them back into my display tank which I was hoping by this time would be fallow of white spot........ WRONG! Outbreaks the white spot again. This is when I decided I wanted to go fish only and sold all of my inverts and any coral I had left. This meant I could put my display tank into hyposalinity. Be careful as this is by far as easy as it sounds. Certain things still living in your live rock could die off and cause an ammonia or nitrite spike which means you'll need to do plenty of water changes. Whilst my quarantine tank was empty I took this opportunity to cycle the built in filter with the added bonus of some filter floss I had place in the sump of my display tank. Cycled in 2 weeks.

The lesson to be learned here is if you do do the right thing and treat your fish please do not by any means be tempted to rush it. Otherwise the clocks starts again. Some people say 4 to 6 weeks to allow your tank to go fallow. I say 9!

I hope some of you reading this will find tip his helpful as there are so many mixed opinions about white spot treatment and lengths of time etc. all I want you to know is the longer the better and take the advice from someone that has recently been through it all. Yes there are other ways to do this but for me this was the way that worked the best with the resources I had at the time.

One final note would be make sure you have access to plenty of RO water and salt. If you have the means to make your own this will come in very handy.

To finalise this long post I would like to show you where I currently am now with my system. You will notice there is no sand and the scape isn't 100%. I am waiting in fact 2 weeks away from receiving my new system which will be around 1200 litres total volume. I hope you like the fish I have chosen as they are, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful fish out there for the marine hobbyist.

I welcome any questions on how I rid my tank of ich and please please please keep this to helping those out there with a problem of ich and not a debate on how to do so.

Attachments

• image-3826385744.jpg
    image-3826385744.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-60265124.jpg
    image-60265124.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image-356274815.jpg
    image-356274815.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 101
The other thing to keep in mind is that it's not just Ich that your fish can bring into the tank. Things like Marine velvet are even more deadly and can wipe out a tank in a couple of days.

There are three types of people in this hobby... Those that QT their fish... Those that learn the hard way that they should have and your one in a million that get lucky.

Couldn't agree more Todd. I'm glad I've done this now and will continue doing so with all new arrivals. Currently QT'ing a juvenile emperor angel which will look amazing in my new system.

I haven't had ich. Been lucky but I have my qt up and running for some new additions going into my 150 gallon I'm setting up. Nothing is going in without a qt period. I don't want to take any chances

I also learned the hard way. Tank was doing great, added fish slowly, then one day I added a coral beauty that quickly developed ich and that was the beginning of a long process that hadn't been fun. I had to tear up all of my live rock to catch everyone. The QT tank wasn't cycled because I set it up on the fly to treat the ich. Each day I lost another pet that my family loved. Now I am down to a single blue devil damsel that has been treated and is doing just fine. He never showed any signs of ich, but i treated him anyway. I went ahead and treated for other stuff too. It has been 4 weeks now and lots of work to save my one fish. I will always quarantine from now on. No doubt about it.

It's hard when it happens but when it does happen its something you want to make sure it doesn't reoccur.

Good to hear you QT all new fish and everything. To be honest its the only way I've managed to keep a healthy powder blue tang. I know so many people that love close by and we love on an island and no one I know quarantined their fish. Tried acanthurus tangs and failed on more than one occasion and what annoys me the most is they didn't learn from it

Back
Top Bottom