Marineland LED DBL bright system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Tam,

I started a tank a few months ago (you can see the borrowed media in the center of the tank) using the Marineland Double Bright LED. Yes, it will grow low light plants just fine.

In the second picture you'll see I had to add more lights to sustain more demanding plants.

I hope this helps.

David

Attachments

• PICT0602.jpg
    PICT0602.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 88
  • 600.JPG
    600.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 86
i use the same one and my plants aren't dying, but they don't show signs of growth either

How tall is your tank? I hear a lot of mixes on ok growth and just sustaining from my reading and I'm wondering if it's because of the depth of the water maybe.

I don't really want a ton of growth, some would of course be nice but I'll be happy if it keeps the plants alive.

tamtam said:
How tall is your tank? I hear a lot of mixes on ok growth and just sustaining from my reading and I'm wondering if it's because of the depth of the water maybe.

I don't really want a ton of growth, some would of course be nice but I'll be happy if it keeps the plants alive.

Mine is on a 20 exh....sigh. Really starting to think bad thoughts about whoever thought
That was a good size tank. Anyway, I'm dosing
With excel daily and have added root taps for the
Swords. But everything else is doing well. It's not
Exploding be any means but let be honest, I don't want to cut the grass more than once a week in the summer. Really don't want to have to worry about the tank on those line either. Lol

Mine is on a 20 exh....sigh. Really starting to think bad thoughts about whoever thought
That was a good size tank. Anyway, I'm dosing
With excel daily and have added root taps for the
Swords. But everything else is doing well. It's not
Exploding be any means but let be honest, I don't want to cut the grass more than once a week in the summer. Really don't want to have to worry about the tank on those line either. Lol

Do you mean a 20 hex?

I was hoping to get by with some root tabs and excel. It's going on a 30 gallon. It's.. 16 or 18 inches high. My memory fails me now. lol.

That's pretty much my idea with the plant growth too. I don't want to have to do constant care on it to keep it in control. I barely keep up with yard work as it is. :p

tamtam said:
Do you mean a 20 hex?

I was hoping to get by with some root tabs and excel. It's going on a 30 gallon. It's.. 16 or 18 inches high. My memory fails me now. lol.

That's pretty much my idea with the plant growth too. I don't want to have to do constant care on it to keep it in control. I barely keep up with yard work as it is. :p

No it a 20 extra high. 24" high

Yup to both and Christmas moss on the driftwood. Total forgot the name of the stuff on the bottom left. Wife brought it home the other day. Looks really good, whatever it is. :). I plan on moving some to the 40...which I need to start planting.

Well an update for anyone that may be interested. As I said in my "first plants" thread things aren't going to great. :9 I have a few small amazon sword and 1 javafern wendelov. The java fern so far seems to be ok but it's been about a week and my swords are looking pitiful. They are starting to turn transparent. :(

I have some root tabs in the sand so I don't think that's the issue. I'm hoping that this is just some transitional period from the move or because they weren't planted, just floating in the tank at the shop. I've read that there can be an adjustment period when you plant a plant that hasn't been grown that way.

Here's hoping. I'd hate to have bought this light just to have an expensive visual effect. :(

Have you started excel & root tabs? I use both in my tanks.

I have root tabs, I haven't gotten excel yet. I was debating it's need because I only have the 1 java fern that isn't planted. Will the excel in the water column be useful at all to the planted swords?

I have root tabs, I haven't gotten excel yet. I was debating it's need because I only have the 1 java fern that isn't planted. Will the excel in the water column be useful at all to the planted swords?

First off, let me tell you that I am just starting in planted tanks myself so I'm not by any means an expert on planted tanks. I'm just going off my efforts with one of my tanks that has the same light and also planted with swords.

Excel is a liquid C02 which should help all plant in your tank. Root tabs have really help my swords get established and you only need to replace monthly.

Other than that. Their are others on the site that have way way more experience to help past that. But start by getting the swords in the substrate with the root tabs.

replaced every month? interesting. What are you using for root tabs?

The tabs I have are Flourish tabs. The packaging says to replace every 3-4 months..

my reading seems to say that API has more NPK and fewer trace elements and that Flourish has more trace and little NPK. Seems like the flourish should do the job for swords from my reading.. but really who knows. lol

Back
Top Bottom