Marmalade fuelleborni cichlid holding ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed 2 days ago one of my fuelleborni cichlids looked a little swollen in the throat. Well I just seen her again and its doubled in size ! Woot she is holding when should I seperate her from the main tank? Do the eggs get fertilized as soon as she scoops them up? I do my pwc on sunday would that be a good time to move her to a breeder box

Congrats! I think yes as soon as she scoops them up they are fertilized. Also if this is her first time do not strip her.

ok thanks it seems 2 of them are holding and possibly a 3rd one. i took the 2 i first noticed set one of them up in a 5gal bucket with a heater, established filter and tank water from the tank she was in. and the other one in a breeding net in the tank she was in. i wish i hadnt tore down my qt tank just yet its a week into cycling the new sponge filter and the new dirted aquascape i did. grrrr. well once this sponge filter is established i guess ill put them into the 10 together with a barrier in it and the 3rd one can go into the bucket.

How long do they hold the eggs for I'm starting to think they might not have been holding it doesn't look like the bulge is getting any bigger but there is a little bulge and the gills look a little puffed out but not as much as a lot of the pictures I've been seeing.

oh no she escaped out of her breeder box back into the main tank. and she is definatley holding it was hard to tell through the net. but now that i can see her free swimming she is definatley holding. arrrggghhhhhh......now i gotta take everything outta my tank again to be able to catch her...unless i can devise a way to block off all the rock caves at once like with a peice of screen or net with weights on it to drape over al the structures while there all eating...

I got her caught i tricked them by thinking throwing a pinch of there fav food in there and SCOOP with an 8" net gotcha... thanks ill read that now...well i have a 10g planted tank that just got done with a fishless cycle using pure ammonia to dose it so i guess once she spits them i will be putting them in there and im not dure what ill be doing with them after that probablly see if this new fish store that opend up near me will be intrested in taking them for store credit. i have 2 currently holding and mabey 3 so ill be having quite a few.

So yesterday I noticed one free swimming fry but haven't seen it or any others since and her mouth is still full but doesn't look as big as it did the other day I hope she isn't eating them. Should I strip them? Or just keep waiting?

If this is her first holding don't strip her or else is gonna be hard to get her to breed again.

is it possible she is still holding some? ive counted 7 or 8 fry. and about feeding them i took a few different kinds of fish food and mixed them into a powder i can just feed them that untill the NLS fry formula i ordered came in correct? how lonf do i feed them that? i also have NLS small fish formula 0.5mm once there bigger i can switch them to that correct? also how often should they be fed i heard 4 times a day is that true?

So far I see 11 and her throat is still swollen. So I seperated her into the breeder box so she wouldn't eat them or any fry or any of my shrimp while recovering. Mabey she will spit the last of them out. So how often should I feed the fry.

ForumRunner_20130527_183835.jpg

ForumRunner_20130527_183859.jpg

Back
Top Bottom