Material to tie plants down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for ideas on tie down material for plants, I have heard fishing line and sewing thread are used but are these items ideal? I would like something that will eventually dissolve once the plants have had time to attach.

I am looking for ideas on tie down material for plants, I have heard fishing line and sewing thread are used but are these items ideal? I would like something that will eventually dissolve once the plants have had time to attach.
I recently used a rubber band and it eventually snapped and fell to the substrate after a month which ended up being perfect! I just grabbed it out with my tongs, plants attached just fine.. I've heard cotton twine will do the same..

I use 100% black cotton thread which will dissolve over time and isn't every noticeable. Some also use Super Glue Gel (be sure it's the gel).

DIY Planting Mesh

Hi all.
I just discovered this as a way to hold down very loose, fine leafed plants like Fissedens and other mosses to DW or Rocks. It won't really dissolve but when the moss grows out it completely covers the mesh. I have some mini Fissedens on a stainless steel mesh but the mesh is so stiff and thick the moss won't attach to my DW. This is thin enough that the moss will. I cut a piece out and placed it over the patch of moss and wrapped the thread over it and tied it behind where it couldn't be seen. In one month you could not tell the mess was there.
Just another DIY discovery. OS.

Attachments

• _DSC0553.jpg
    _DSC0553.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC0554.jpg
    _DSC0554.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 55
I use rubber bands but idk if they dissolve and big fish might try to eat them

Ah the potato bag! That's a great idea!!! I will have to try this myself. But I use fishing line myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom