Mbunas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I didn't really get any responses (relevant to what I was looking for anyway) on my last post, and I will attribute that to me being entirely to specific in what I was asking... So for this thread, I simply want to know, what do you do when your mbunas spawn? The mother already has eggs in her mouth, and I've removed her from the tank. Was that wrong?/What should I be doing?/Should the father have been removed with her?

Any comments/questions/snide remarks are appreciated!

Thanks,

~Kaden

Well, I would like to if at all possible. She's currently in my sump, which is about 10g, was holding lots of my extra rocks and stuff, so it's perfect to put injured fish in... As far as I can tell she should be fairly comfortable in there, and when she lets the fry out they should have myriad places to hide. Haha, there are literally piles of rocks ranging in size from pebbles to some larger than a fist.

It may be worth noting that this is her first go around with babies, so does that make her likely to simply eat them? And not let them out at all? Haha... I simply don't know. Should I take her out as soon as I see fry swimming around?

Thanks for the advice,

~Kaden

Mbuna are usually very good parents. She will expel them from her mouth when she deems it safe .....and suck them back in when danger is near. This will continue until they get too big to hide in her mouth anymore

So you don't think she's likely to eat them? (simply because she is new to this whole parenting thing) Should I just leave her in the sump with them then? Until they get to be of decent size anyway?

TIA,

~Kaden

Being a rookie parent , she may eat them....but in the sump she'll feel safer and less stressed. She'll be more likely to care for them properly. I'd probably separate her from the fry after about 2 weeks or so.

two weeks after you first notice them outside of her mouth. This will also give her a chance for some rest and relaxation before you put her back in with the male.

Back
Top Bottom