Measurement guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Somewhere in a thread I found (can't remember where it was now) there was a way to measure an area and find out what size tank would fit in a certain area. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have a space in my kitchen, a long countertop that would be a beautiful spot for a pretty large aquarium, but I don't exactly know what size aquarium. I even told my husband about my vision for this counter last night and he seemed impressed/interested and said that it would be really pretty....lol. It is a counter that is right next to our dining table. I can't believe I am even considering it. I have gone batty (or should I say fishy)! :-D

I doubt this is exactly what you're looking for, but it should provide a nice start. It's the list of standard aquarium sizes from Aqueon (formerly All-Glass). You'd just need to figure in some allowances for room for any accessories hanging off the aquarium. You'll also want to consider the weight of the aquarium, and how much weight the counter is built to handle.

I doubt this is exactly what you're looking for, but it should provide a nice start. It's the list of standard aquarium sizes from Aqueon (formerly All-Glass). You'd just need to figure in some allowances for room for any accessories hanging off the aquarium. You'll also want to consider the weight of the aquarium, and how much weight the counter is built to handle.

How do I figure out how much weight the counter is built to handle? It is a custom made piece by a cabinet maker here in town. It has four built-in cabinets below it. All of his work seems to be expertly made and very sturdy, high quality.... I will try to post a picture later today.
Thanks for the list link included, Joy! According to that list I could fit a 40 long in my space easily. hmmmmm.....

Last edited:
How do I figure out how much weight the counter is built to handle? It is a custom made piece by a cabinet maker here in town. It has four built-in cabinets below it. All of his work seems to be expertly made and very sturdy, high quality.... I will try to post a picture later today.

Well since you said it was custom made by someone in your town, maybe the place to start would be to talk to him (or her) and ask how much weight they would think it could hold. Water weighs a little over 8 pounds per gallon (8.35 actually), so a 40 long you are looking at 334 pounds just for the water, plus the weight of substrate. So the question is, could the counter hold 400+ pounds, dependably, without any sagging, for possibly many years in a row?

Well since you said it was custom made by someone in your town, maybe the place to start would be to talk to him (or her) and ask how much weight they would think it could hold. Water weighs a little over 8 pounds per gallon (8.35 actually), so a 40 long you are looking at 334 pounds just for the water, plus the weight of substrate. So the question is, could the counter hold 400+ pounds, dependably, without any sagging, for possibly many years in a row?

Will do...I am pretty sure we still have the guy's card. Fingers crossed. I thought the hard part would be selling the idea to my husband.

If it's 2x4 construction, that weight and much more.

Do you mean that if it is made with 2 x 4 construction it CAN handle that weight? I am pretty sure it is, but I need to call the guy and find out for sure. Is there any way I could look at it inside the cabinets and tell for sure?

Be careful with any tank bigger than 20 or 30 gal on any counter top. A standard counter construction is not meant to take too much weight. Also, a standard fishtank has all its weight on the rims, and if that sits on something weak - say a particle board overhang, you are asking for trouble.

Water = 8.43 lbs/gallon (you were pretty close)

Have to figure in the weight of the tank itself too - large tanks can get pretty heavy.
Then add 10 - 20% safety factor.
2x4's will hold a 40g.

Back
Top Bottom