Mebbid's 60g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting a thread about the new 60g mixed reef I am working on.

The stand and canopy were made out of figured cherry and tiger maple.

Planned equipment:

Pumps:
Maxspect gyre fx230 x2
Reef octopus varios 6 (way overpowered but I'm gonna run a manifold off of it.)

Lights:
Radion xr30
2x t5ho

Sump:
Trigger system sapphire cube
2x 200w eheim jager heaters
Skimmer - I have a reef octopus skimmer that came with the tank, not sure its gonna fit in the sump enough to run properly. We will see.
BRS gfo and carbon reactor.
BRS peristaltic ato pump
Hydro koralia ATO

Controller:
Reefkeeper elite. Will eventually upgrade to an apex and move this to the frag system I'm gonna build.

20180920_205830.jpg20180920_205904.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty spiffffyyyyyyyyy! :pulls up chair and pours a bowl of cornflakes:

Welcome to the party brook!

Right now I'm waiting for a custom overflow to be built before I can get water in the tank. Planning on a bean animal overflow to keep things nice and quiet.

One big thing I'm waffling on is whether to do a traditional sand bed or an idea I came up with to mix epoxy and sand to make a tank that is effectively a bare bottomed tank while keeping the aesthetic look of sand

Waffling huh?? That epoxy bed sounds pretty cool. My sand is so extra it grows grass! ... algae that looks like crap! I hate it... paint the bottom deep blue and call it..

Hm...an epoxy sandbed would be an interesting concept. You'd have to be careful with what epoxy would be chosen as some of them are very toxic...but then again I'm more familiar with commercial and industrial epoxy than what one would normally be able to get there hands on.

Waffling huh?? That epoxy bed sounds pretty cool. My sand is so extra it grows grass! ... algae that looks like crap! I hate it... paint the bottom deep blue and call it..
Yeah, that would be the easy way out. Bare bottom tanks just look.. off tho. Need something there other than glass.
Hm...an epoxy sandbed would be an interesting concept. You'd have to be careful with what epoxy would be chosen as some of them are very toxic...but then again I'm more familiar with commercial and industrial epoxy than what one would normally be able to get there hands on.
Theres some food safe options out there that aren't terribly expensive.

It has, unfortunately I am still waiting on the custom overflow. I made some measurements incorrectly which screwed things up a bit and slowed everything down. They are awesome with customer service and will post a full review of everything later.

A few other things going on:

1: I got my quarantine system started. Mostly I just moved the corals and fish over to get them out of the old tank to get things moving.

CcbsCdG.jpg

2: The maxspect gyre pump I bought is extremely loud. Contacted support and they sent out new bushings, shaft, and impeller which didn't work. I contacted them again and they are sending a new motor block. Should fix things up right.

3: My gf actually said "I can't wait for that tank to get set up, its gonna be soo cool" shes definitely a keeper. Im just gonna ignore how much I've spent on it.

4: The rock I have is finally fully cycled

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom