Mebbid's DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delapool: Yes that was my local Bunnings. :)

Mebbid, is the mix you use lesser concentration in heavy metals etc? Would we need to increase our rates of water changes anyway? Currently I do them weekly with water conditioner that removes the effects of heavy metals, so I reason once the water conditioner in the wc is in the tank would help also?

I caved in and bought some. For starters just used the one tab, deep into the substrate. Going slow. Will keep an eye on water parameters over coming weeks.

Mebbid, is the mix you use lesser concentration in heavy metals etc? Would we need to increase our rates of water changes anyway? Currently I do them weekly with water conditioner that removes the effects of heavy metals, so I reason once the water conditioner in the wc is in the tank would help also?

I caved in and bought some. For starters just used the one tab, deep into the substrate. Going slow. Will keep an eye on water parameters over coming weeks.

The only thing I'd really be worried about is the mercury, cadmium, and lead. However, the concentrations are low enough that even that isn't really worth worrying about.However regular water changes would remove any buildup at all that goes in the water as well as the prime.

You'll have to keep us informed as to how well they work :)

Grrr, couldn't find it today (hopeless over here). Had a quick look at osmocote but I need to go back in and compare properly. I have a note my foxtail is a bit iron sensitive so still checking. Would also like to know if it works as I can get relatives in QLD to send some. :)

Grrr, couldn't find it today (hopeless over here). Had a quick look at osmocote but I need to go back in and compare properly. I have a note my foxtail is a bit iron sensitive so still checking. Would also like to know if it works as I can get relatives in QLD to send some. :)

I think Bunning's can order it in from another store if you go to the service desk. If you're in a bind I can also send you a pack if you like.

FYI I use Osmocote Flower & Vegetable and Miracle Gro Tomato, Fruit, & Vegetable.

The Osmocote is 14 across the board NPK. 8.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen 5.8% Nitrate Nitrogen

The Miracle Gro is 9-4-12 NPK.

3.5% Calcium
1.4% Magnesium 0.6 water soluble
7% Sulfur
0.05% Copper 0.001 " "
0.9% Iron 0.001 " "
0.35% Manganese 0.24 " "
0.1% Zinc 0.001 " "

Today I went to Walmart and got some Osmocote+ and soon found this tried.... But sadly I did not find any pill capsules. Is there any can I need to avoid one I get to the store?

I think Bunning's can order it in from another store if you go to the service desk. If you're in a bind I can also send you a pack if you like.

Great idea, I'll check out. Thanks for the offer. I'm in Perth so fingers crossed I just got the wrong store.

FYI I use Osmocote Flower & Vegetable and Miracle Gro Tomato, Fruit, & Vegetable.

The Osmocote is 14 across the board NPK. 8.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen 5.8% Nitrate Nitrogen

The Miracle Gro is 9-4-12 NPK.

3.5% Calcium
1.4% Magnesium 0.6 water soluble
7% Sulfur
0.05% Copper 0.001 " "
0.9% Iron 0.001 " "
0.35% Manganese 0.24 " "
0.1% Zinc 0.001 " "

Handy info! Is there anything you would avoid as being too high? Just wondering why you picked this type of osmocote or it doesn't make much difference?

Handy info! Is there anything you would avoid as being too high? Just wondering why you picked this type of osmocote or it doesn't make much difference?

It doesn't make much difference. This is the same as what's used in my original post. I picked it because it was available and the combination is what I was looking for.

It doesn't make much difference. This is the same as what's used in my original post. I picked it because it was available and the combination is what I was looking for.

Ok, great thanks. I was in there yesterday with about 10 types of osmocote to pick from ranging from natives to vegetables. Was pushed for time (and little old ladies were giving me the evil eye for clogging up the walkway) so I figured I'd come back.

They have Osmocote Plus at my Home Depot. Picked up a small bottle. Looks to have 15/9/12 +trace metals. I'll order some capsules when I get back home. Is there a particular brand, type, I should get? Other than the 00 size. What should they be made out of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found gel caps at a health food store. Otherwise they're easy enough to find online. I used size 0 caps.

I got mine off amazon I don't think the type matters

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got some 0 sized caps at a vitamin shop, they have them.on amazon as well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got 00 and the cheapest I could find. The more expensive ones from memory were made from more natural products or just sounded more healthy. Dozed off while it was all explained to me as I didn't have the heart to say I just wanted them for the fish tank.

Last edited:
So can you use the new oscomote plus as the only thing in the gel caps? Does it have all nutrients by itself?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom