Med kit for Corydoras and ich help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CT327

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Bronze corydoras, the black neon tetra's look fine. My neon tetras all just died with their fins looking like silk and definitely rotted couldn't seem to do anything...
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
PH 8.2 (College water) Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate below 40 ppm
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gallon 4 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number.
10 gallon sponge filter with another hose pumping air.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3 bronze cory, 2 black neon tetras (I have a 20 gallon with 5 other corydoras once these get healthy.)
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Been doing about 20% water changes everyday. One about an hour ago.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The corydoras 4 months. Think the ich came with the new neons didn't have a quarantine tank, college student....
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No just neons a month ago
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Omega shrimp pellets and algae, and no have not changed.

I had 4 corys at one point but one died shortly after adding the neons a month ago. The ich didn't show until about a week ago. Started the normal raised to 86 and used nox-ich at half doses probably too early(Yes it has Mal-green small town no time for ordering.) Should i re-dose? It has been about 4 days since the white spots went missing from my cory sides. Though it looks like they are missing scales near their heads? sorry for the crap pictures my phone sucks. The part i'm talking about looks like a small chunk got ripped out of the side of their heads like when you peel a blister. Idk what that could be. They are quite lethargic but that's probably the temp and sickness. The meds:Nox-Ich, External Parasite Ich Fish Medications for Sale Online | PetSolutions

Also another question. There are lists for betta fish but what is a good list for a corydoras safe medicine kit i can put together for any and all situations?

If still at 86F(?) I'd skip the re-dosing. The temp should be enough by itself and a combination of high heat and meds would be knocking the fish around would be my thought.

Yeah the temperature is still at 86. Next Monday will be a full two week cycle since the last spot was gone. How long after i let the water temp down should i watch them for ich? Also i really concerned about the missing patches of armor. Has anyone know cory cats to lose parts of their skin. Do you think the meds or heat burnt them. I can't seem to find anything useful on google though I've tried. Please help!

Did you try planetcatfish? Good information on that site

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah the temperature is still at 86. Next Monday will be a full two week cycle since the last spot was gone. How long after i let the water temp down should i watch them for ich? Also i really concerned about the missing patches of armor. Has anyone know cory cats to lose parts of their skin. Do you think the meds or heat burnt them. I can't seem to find anything useful on google though I've tried. Please help!

Should be fine to gradually reduce the water temp back down to normal. You could watch for another week but two weeks at that temp should have seen the ich cycle and be gone.

Are the missing patches where the ich was? In that case, a few extra water changes with good quality food and they should bounce back fine. If the missing patches don't look clean or have fluff growing on them, then I'd suspect a bacterial infection secondary to the ich.

I'll try, thanks Brennae. The patches are on the left and right side of their heads so not where the ich was. They are pretty big compared to the cory's body like a blister popped. Also inside one of the indents are small, almost needle like dots but for now it looks clean otherwise.

I'd suspect a bacterial infection (like a pimple) which pops and then heals fairly well. These can be triggered by parasites but it sounded like your tetras had (bacterial) fin rot as well? Treatment of furan2 (anti-bacterial) and metronidazole (anti-bacterial/parasites) if it gets worse.

Can you post a pic or anything in here that looks familiar?

Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

To be honest with you i can't find any of the diseases that match what mine looks like. I went to the LFS and talked to one of the guys that keeps corys. He said it sounds like a bacterial infection like you said, Delapool, so i got some seachem sulfaplex to use with today's water change. Crossing my fingers it works.

Pics

Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpg
    IMG_5489.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5485.jpg
    IMG_5485.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 51
Worth a try. I'll look at these better on the desktop later on. Did the fish shop have much else beside the sulpha meds? These are ok and should help with any single cell parasites (as well as being very safe), but getting a little old now.

Columnaris?

To be honest with you i can't find any of the diseases that match what mine looks like. I went to the LFS and talked to one of the guys that keeps corys. He said it sounds like a bacterial infection like you said, Delapool, so i got some seachem sulfaplex to use with today's water change. Crossing my fingers it works.

See if any of this fits.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Remember that many disease can change appearance in development and present themselves differently.
Many descriptions will not match perfectly,be it the disease is just weak or strong(or different strain) or possibly as only hobbiest we don't recognize some symptoms for what they are.

Some times you have go with best fit.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom