Meds or salt causing cloudy water and white algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have added 1 tsp per gallon to my 5 gallon betta tank and am currently using Maracyn and Maracyn II for some stubborn fin rot. I am also using Stress Coat (I usually use prime but thought the added aloe might help).

The med cycle is over tonight so I am hoping that it will go away (as well as the fin rot). Just concerned that this might not be good. So far water parameters are stable.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Did you predissolve the salt in some treated water before adding it? The meds are are causing the cloudiness. Just keep a close eye on your parameters.

I did. I predissolve it and added it over a day. :/ Glad it is the meds and hopefully not a bacteria bloom! I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks!

After today the meds will be over and I can give it some good cleanings. Just cleaned it yesterday. It is amazing how fast this stuff shows up! I will probably keep the salt in (might up it to 2tsp per gallon) until I see some improvement :/

It may also be a bacterial bloom- dont rule this completely out. The meds will cause cloudiness (more so with the maracyn) but, the meds can also kill off good bacteria which will cause an increase in organics which feed a bacterial bloom. Just stay on top of your testing & water changes until things clear & stabilize. :)

Back
Top Bottom