Melafix treatment vs Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have two clown loaches with white spots and i just bought Melafix to treat them. I know i have to remove the carbon to let the med work but i am using whisper 30 filter and the filter bag that looks all brownish has carbon inside (i think). Will my bacteria died if i take the bag out or should i just turn off the filter leave it there and have the airstone running?

Thanks in advance.

ForumRunner_20120903_230134.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120903_230118.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120903_230118.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 91
You should also increase the temperature. That's how I've dealt with it.

Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984)

You don;t want to instantly increase the temps, but you should increase them 1 degree per day until the ich is gone and then reduce the heat to the level you want.

Thanks! But do i take out the catridge or leave it there??

yes remove the cartrige, if u turn the filter off the bactiria will die if left stagnant for a period of time anyway so its prolly gonna happen eather way.
if possable i would go with the heat only method with loaches and skip the meds altogeather

baygon said:
Thanks! But do i take out the catridge or leave it there??

How long has your cartridge been in your filter?

More than 4weeks?

If so then the active carbon within it has reached its end of life.

Melafix will probably not help with Ich. I used melafix for a fungus problem with some GBR's and it sucked at that and it's supposed to be used for fungal problems.

Just use the heat method as long as your stock can take higher temps.

Jon

Return the Melafix, it is useless and will only increase stress. If it is Ick then you don't need the added stress that meds incur, just use the heat method.

Why is melafix useless? It was recommended to me by LFS (of course) but my fish was too far gone to help at that point. I still have it to use at a later date, but am still unclear of when to use it.

@jondamon: Yes the catridge wil be completing 5 week this saturday, i read about other people cut the catridge and take out the carbons and leave the brownish filter bag in the filter because theres suppose to be BB there. Should i do that or throw the whole thing away?

My temp is 30C and i just raise +1C. Hopefully the heat will kill off the white spots. (fingers cross)

Thanks for the help guys!
-B

blert said:
Return the Melafix, it is useless and will only increase stress. If it is Ick then you don't need the added stress that meds incur, just use the heat method.

I thought i will need alot of it and spent almost $10 on this med...guess i can have my $ back! woohoo!

Why is melafix useless? It was recommended to me by LFS (of course) but my fish was too far gone to help at that point. I still have it to use at a later date, but am still unclear of when to use it.

This is always a fun topic of discussion! First lets start with this "there is a clinical lack of evidence demonstrating the efficacy against bacterial, fungal or viral infections" (Clinical Microbiology Reviews, Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties). Scientific evidence thus far has not demonstrated conclusively that the active ingredient works as suggested but that it does show some "promise" of antiseptic and antifungal activity. Its also worth noting that cajeput oil (the active ingredient in Melafix/pimafix/bettafix) is NOT soluable in water. The US patent for Melafix (patent #5882647) even clearly states this fact. The patent further suggests that the product must be 'vigorously shaken' in an aquarium setting to try and distribute it throughout the water column. Melafix's patent also states that there may be 'additional ingredients' in the product such as emulsifiers, preservatives, surfectants, defoaming agents and other 'adjuvants' that remain unnamed.

Its worth noting that the American Cancer Society and the Mayo Clinic specifically warn of the toxicity of the active ingredient to both humans and pets, including but not limited to rash, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, vomiting, blood cell abnormalities, coma and death. There are a few anecdotal studies that go on to suggest that the products of the oil's breakdown into into metabolites can cause liver damage in fish or the product can interfere with proper respiration. Likewise, there are other anecdotal studies that suggest that melafix may be helpful in certain situations.

Personally, I feel adding a product of questionable efficacy, unknown ingredients and that 'may' cause potential harm is not the wisest decision. Unhealthy water is responsible for the largest portion of fish ailments- addressing this should be a priority. Quaratining new fish to prevent the spread of disease and treating with an appropriate medication warranted by the situation along with healthy water is paramont to a positive prognosis. Do your own research and make your own decisions before adding anything to your aquarium.

Last edited:
carbon out

Hi everyone,

I have two clown loaches with white spots and i just bought Melafix to treat them. I know i have to remove the carbon to let the med work but i am using whisper 30 filter and the filter bag that looks all brownish has carbon inside (i think). Will my bacteria died if i take the bag out or should i just turn off the filter leave it there and have the airstone running?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 116600
>> Hi just take the carbon out by cutting the very top. Jut be sure all gets out use a sm bucket of aquar h20. leavin in chips can hit impeller. turnin heat up too fast will spread the Ich real fast too fast. mar 2 is a great secondary infection preventer. u should put them into a bare bottom treatment with terracotta pots to hide & cover glass with newspaper. its a security / less stress on them. Salt dips are good BUT U really have to be careful. Thats How i cured 2 few yrs ago when i thought another fish was clean. QUARRANTINE FOR 2 mos esp when loaches & scaleless are present >ITs worth it! Good luck. PS I buy Morton Fine pool salt its cheap & its at walmart. 100 % pure NO RUST prevent agents!they kill fish. Formaldehyde at 1/2 strength 12/24 x 3 is safe But go EZ. Fast 10 secs . must be with aquar H20.

Back
Top Bottom