Memoirs of a 55 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was right, my last adult succumbed to his injuries last night. The fry are still seemingly healthy. I treated both the small tanks with copper (which killed all my anachris, didnt really want it anyway cause it would have been a weed in my new tank) and it cured the male and prevented the disease from spreading to the fry but it would appear the male was to damaged to survive. Its ashame the four of them never made it to their new home.

Zezmo said:
The tank is really looking nice. The rock wall/planter is really a great idea.

I think mystery plants 1 and 3 are hygrophila species. Maybe corymbosa type (Compacta, Stricta etc)

Mystery #3 does indeed look like the corymbosa at the leaves, but take carefull note of the stem. Its red, I've never seen a corymbosa with a red stem, furthermore the new leaves are turning red as well due to limited nitrates. I am almost certain now that #3 is cognac plant (Ammannia gracilis). However, #1 could very well be Stricta.

Well the swordtails decided to make a meal out of Mystery #1. Worse still they made a meal out of the stems of the plant and left the leaves. If they had just eaten the leave they probably wouldnt have been able to do too much damage. *sigh*

I got some new members for the community. 9 Glowlight Tetras and 1 Farlowella Acus. I'll get some pictures for you as soon as I get my camera back.

I know its been a while since I updated this. Never was very good at keeping journals. But, heres a video, I recently did some major maintanence and it looks quite well now.

The wysteria is gone, that stuff just took over and sucked up the nutrients, so I got rid of it. The Wendtii and Lutea plants are doing well. The Farlowella passed away after a single water change for no apparent reason, he was a good algae eater, but not a fish good for beginners. I've added 2 small clown loaches and the swordtails are breeding non-stop. I fear I'm gonna have to find a way to get rid of some of them real soon.

Back
Top Bottom