Micro Zen garden!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a completely unrelated note........ Bamboo.

What if I put some sweet bamboo in the middle?

Could anybody see this as a possible aquascape?

Jetajockey mentioned it in a thread somewhere and it made me think how cool it looks when it gets rooted

MABJ said:
On a completely unrelated note........ Bamboo.

What if I put some sweet bamboo in the middle?

Could anybody see this as a possible aquascape?

Jetajockey mentioned it in a thread somewhere and it made me think how cool it looks when it gets rooted

Dont the laeves have to be emersed?

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Dont the laeves have to be emersed?

They sure do, but in a .5 gallon micro that shouldn't be a problem. Those things are tiny. Definitely worth considering IMO.

Maybe have a line of bamboo in the back? But have some kind of hanging light ficture that goes above that way the bamboo can grow taller??

smileyface9 said:
Maybe have a line of bamboo in the back? But have some kind of hanging light ficture that goes above that way the bamboo can grow taller??

Honestly, I don't think this is necessary. I'm sure light from an open window will be just fine or just everyday normal light:)

Austin.b said:
Honestly, I don't think this is necessary. I'm sure light from an open window will be just fine or just everyday normal light:)

Yeah, that's how it's grown as a houseplant, near a window. Do you know if it'll grow under ambient room light away from a window? Guess if the tank is in a less lit part of a room it might not be a bad idea to have the light. Plus having a light over it would really show it off!

Thanks for all the responses. Based on what I'm hearing, I'm going to have to saw the inner half of the lid off regardless of what I want to do. I like the lid cause it gives a nice rim. But that's about it.

This tank could easily be near a window. The back is black so it wouldn't even let light in towards the back end.

Any suggestions on bamboo types to look at? I liked the small stems in the back to create a background idea. Loved it.

What type is that and what other types should I consider :D

I'm not sure what type it is, but IMO all bamboo looks cool. A bamboo wall in the back would look awesome.

MABJ said:
Thanks for all the responses. Based on what I'm hearing, I'm going to have to saw the inner half of the lid off regardless of what I want to do. I like the lid cause it gives a nice rim. But that's about it.

This tank could easily be near a window. The back is black so it wouldn't even let light in towards the back end.

Any suggestions on bamboo types to look at? I liked the small stems in the back to create a background idea. Loved it.

What type is that and what other types should I consider :D

Or maybe dried hallow bamboo? The shrimp would like that.

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Or maybe dried hallow bamboo? The shrimp would like that.

Yep. Just make sure that if you buy bamboo it isn't coated in a sealer. I grow it in the yard (and eat the shoots in the spring). Google it.

to prevent quick evaporation you could always use the top, but put a piece of plastic cling wrap over the big hole with some little holes poked in it...

Back
Top Bottom