Might start new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I've had a 40 gallon tank with Cichlids for about 1.5 years now and I've come to the realization that I just can't put in any other fish with them. I'm thinking of setting up a 20 gallon tank in my living room with some nice bright community fish. I love the look of the Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand and some bright colored fish would look great on it.

Give me some feedback on what you think of my stocking choice. I hope I'm not going too overboard. Here's what I was thinking.

3 Cherry Barbs
3 Black Skirt Tetras
and 3 Clown Loaches.

I realize that the clowns can get pretty big (my dad has one that's nearing 5 inches,) but I'm pretty sure it takes a LONG time for them to get that big. I just love the look of the Black Skirt Tetras and Cherry Barbs are so colorful. I also grew up with Clown Loaches so they're one of my favorites.

Hey guys,

I've had a 40 gallon tank with Cichlids for about 1.5 years now and I've come to the realization that I just can't put in any other fish with them. I'm thinking of setting up a 20 gallon tank in my living room with some nice bright community fish. I love the look of the Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand and some bright colored fish would look great on it.

Give me some feedback on what you think of my stocking choice. I hope I'm not going too overboard. Here's what I was thinking.

3 Cherry Barbs
3 Black Skirt Tetras
and 3 Clown Loaches.

I realize that the clowns can get pretty big (my dad has one that's nearing 5 inches,) but I'm pretty sure it takes a LONG time for them to get that big. I just love the look of the Black Skirt Tetras and Cherry Barbs are so colorful. I also grew up with Clown Loaches so they're one of my favorites.

No to clown Loaches in a 20G, they can put up with a 55G when young but wouldn't ever recommend 20G. Look at Kuhli Loaches who will look great against blank sand and be much happier in a smaller tank.

Both the barbs and tetras are nippy if not in larger groups so I'd scrap one and up the other to 6, probably the barbs if you're looking for colour.

Dude! I totally forgot about kuhlis. I was going to get them in my 40 but instead I got YoYos. Don't they burrow a lot though?

My Clowns got to nearly 4 inch's in less than a year which would be to big for 20g as they are very active, personally I wouldn't do it - you will be gutted when you have to rehome them.

That might be okay but Clown Loaches grow too big. That's all I can say because i don't know much about fish. I didn't know tetras were nippy even if the tetras and barbs were nippy what would they nip. Are there any Long finned fish?

LilBangarang said:
Does anyone have experience with kuhlis? Do they burrow a lot?

I've never had Kuhli loaches, but I have polka dot loaches and they're pretty awesome. They are super active

Back
Top Bottom