Mini Cycle Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going through a mini cycle right now and every day my foxface has white spots on him in the morning and cloudy eyes from ammonia burn imo. My ammonia has been at .25 for a few days after adding the foxface so I have been dosing prime every day to try and help out a bit. Heres my question, I have a 9lb peice of live rock still in my 25g Nano that is extremely established and it will be going in the 75g that is having the mini cycle. The rock wasnt put in orginaly because I didnt have lights yet and zoas are all over it. I put a few zoa frags from my 25g into the 75g to see how the reacted to the light and what not before I move all my corals. part of me tells myself that the Large rock will help get rid of the ammonia in the tank and another part tells me that if theres ammonia in the tank the rock will have die off and just create more ammonia in my DT. What should I do?

Any way you could do a gradual PWC or add some plant life (or something) just to get the ammo down a little bit more before adding the rock? I know getting rid of ammonia in a reef can be tricky work. My SW tanks look like jungles, lol. It might not be a popular look, but plants help.

Any way you could do a gradual PWC or add some plant life (or something) just to get the ammo down a little bit more before adding the rock? I know getting rid of ammonia in a reef can be tricky work. My SW tanks look like jungles, lol. It might not be a popular look, but plants help.

Its a thought but no plants will enter my tank haha Im going for an extremely clean looking tank with just rock and corals. I actually just did a PWC on the tank last night in order to get it down. I did 20% water change. I of course use RO/DI water and IO Reef Crystals.

add some ammo carb in a piece of a nylon stocking should help draw out the ammonia put 1 on either side of tank ,works slow but will do the job, also lighten up on any feeding
another way is the pet store should have a ammonia neutralizer you can buy

Back
Top Bottom