minimum size tank for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kade

Aquarium Advice Regular
what do you think would be the minimum tank size for a salt water tank.
i have a 45 gallon, would this be good enough

The 45 is a good size to start with it is big enough that you have a margin of error that you won't have in a smaller tank. Research the fish you might want then decide if it is big enough.

If done right the 45 is fine. Here is a pic of my 45 reef:
img_1356770_0_f3340203c51ab57215494086b1cc9eb9.jpg

Yep, I agree a 45 would be a nice starter tank to feel it all out. I just bet you'll want a bigger one before long. LOL

Yes he will eventually want a bigger tank, then the mts sets in. Lol, there is no right or wrong answer to the question posed. Some people prefer nano, or even pico tanks, but it all depends on what you want to keep. That being said, your 45 is perfect for a first tank, you could build it for an economical figure and keep some fish, then determine if its a hobby you really enjoy and move up or down accordingly. Remember, the smaller you go, the more difficult the system is, because it is easy to cause large swings in your parameters. Always research livestock before you buy it, to make sure it is suitable for your system.Welcome to the hobby!

Nano by AA standards is a SW tank under 20G, Picos are usually less than about 6G or so.

But your tank is good, nanos and picos are harder to maintain for a first time aquarist

Now I'm getting a bit ahead of myself hear. If I set it up. When I put fish in, do I but all fish at once or do I buy like a Pair of clownfish one week and next week another pair of fish. What is the best way to do it?

First you need to cycle the tank. I'm on my phone, so I can't link well, but there are some great articles on this website that will guide you through a fishless cycle. Once the tank is cycled, you will want to allow time for the biological filter to catch up between additions.

How Many pounds/kilograms would I be looking at? And how much live rock

kade said:
How Many pounds/kilograms would I be looking at? And how much live rock

Sorry how many pounds/kilos of rock would I need. And how much live rock

On a 45 about 80 lbs of rock or so would be good but the more the better in my opinion you could use a very little of actual live rock to seed the rest. Good luck.

Nano by AA standards is a SW tank under 20G, Picos are usually less than about 6G or so.

But your tank is good, nanos and picos are harder to maintain for a first time aquarist

harder to maintain yes but you also learn how to maintain it and its not as expensive to learn on a smaller one

Back
Top Bottom