Minimum tank size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all opinion, so you'll hear a dozen different things. Everyone has their own ideas of what a fish needs as a 'minimum', and in some things people just generally agree, but there isn't some magical number where anything below it will result in instant death or some sort of inhumanity.

It's all opinion, so you'll hear a dozen different things. Everyone has their own ideas of what a fish needs as a 'minimum', and in some things people just generally agree, but there isn't some magical number where anything below it will result in instant death or some sort of inhumanity.
lol I agree. I was just trying to make somethin better because as I have said I need something concrete.

If you mean your thread, I did read it, and while I thought it was good, it could use some work. If you want me to contribute, you can ask.
I really really would appreciate it. I tred to say that anybody who has an idea can contribute! I would love advise so that we can make a new system!

jetajockey said:

:agree:

You hit the bulls eye!

lol I agree. I was just trying to make somethin better because as I have said I need something concrete.

You won't get something concrete, and if you do, it'll just be whatever you personally find adequate.

The inch/gallon rule is just a basic guideline that people have all generally agreed upon at one point in time, it has its flaws, but it's not a bad start for someone who has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Anything more than that is probably overcomplicated.

The other thing to take into account is that some fish are different. People often say that certain fish, like oscars, for example, are messy eaters, fish like plecos poop alot, etc, so they factor in more for that. As to how much merit that actually has, or what it's effects are, who knows. I do know a fish like a goldfish who has no stomach is constantly grazing so creates a lot of waste for it's size, but other fish like O's, Mollies, etc, I've not seen any difference in their waste/messiness versus other cichlids and livebearers the same size. I guess some fish just get a reputation.

You won't get something concrete, and if you do, it'll just be whatever you personally find adequate.

The inch/gallon rule is just a basic guideline that people have all generally agreed upon at one point in time, it has its flaws, but it's not a bad start for someone who has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Anything more than that is probably overcomplicated.

The other thing to take into account is that some fish are different. People often say that certain fish, like oscars, for example, are messy eaters, fish like plecos poop alot, etc, so they factor in more for that. As to how much merit that actually has, or what it's effects are, who knows. I do know a fish like a goldfish who has no stomach is constantly grazing so creates a lot of waste for it's size, but other fish like O's, Mollies, etc, I've not seen any difference in their waste/messiness versus other cichlids and livebearers the same size. I guess some fish just get a reputation.
I gotchya. Yea it was worth a shot. lol

Back
Top Bottom