Minnow I.D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I always see these tiny minnows no bigger than a nickel in my local streams and rivers. It's usually black or dark brown. I know it's not a fat head because its no where near the size of one. I think they would be cool to put in my tank if I was able to research about them. But first I have to find out the name of them! Thank you all for any guesses as to what it is!

NatureFish
????

Catch a few and take pics. I'm sure someone will ID it. Providing geography will be helpful with the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tiny minnows could be anything, as most fish start off that way. Geographical location would probably help in narrowing it down.

Catch a few and take pics. I'm sure someone will ID it. Providing geography will be helpful with the pics.

I can't snap any photos since I don't have time to go there but they kind of look like goldfish fry except they aren't! I'm down in South Texas.

NatureFish
????

If that's not enough info, there's a fish I do have a picture of and I'd like to identify them as well. They are weird because they don't have swim bladders! They look like gobies of some sort. I found these guys when I went on a tour of Aquarena Springs in San Marcos Texas. The tour guide told everyone the name but I forgot it... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413731151.443833.jpg

NatureFish
????

Does anyone know what that little bottom feeder is?

NatureFish
????

Hummingbird tetra on pic above

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hummingbird tetra on pic above

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks similar in shape and coloration but the dorsal fin of the fish in the pic is a bit long and perch like as opposed to a more triangular dorsal fin that the Hummingbird tetra (or Peruvian Darter Tetra) has. Also, the fish in the pic was collected locally (Texas); Hummingbird Tetras are found in FW bodies from Panama to Argentina.

If that's not enough info, there's a fish I do have a picture of and I'd like to identify them as well. They are weird because they don't have swim bladders! They look like gobies of some sort. I found these guys when I went on a tour of Aquarena Springs in San Marcos Texas. The tour guide told everyone the name but I forgot it... View attachment 253423

NatureFish
????

Definitely a darter and given the collection area it's probably Etheostoma fonticola.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Gillie, it's about time you showed up.
If that is the case, then this species is listed as endangered: Fountain Darter (Etheostoma fonticola)

That it is.

NatureFish, where on the river did you collect the darter? If it was collected in the headwaters it could be a fountain darter and need to be released, but if it was collected from a different part of the river a better pic with body patterns and/or coloration would be helpful.

That it is.

NatureFish, where on the river did you collect the darter? If it was collected in the headwaters it could be a fountain darter and need to be released, but if it was collected from a different part of the river a better pic with body patterns and/or coloration would be helpful.

The darter isn't mine it's one of the fish that Aquarina Springs has captured and put in a 20 at their facility. I just walked by and snapped a quick photo of it!

NatureFish
????

The darter isn't mine it's one of the fish that Aquarina Springs has captured and put in a 20 at their facility. I just walked by and snapped a quick photo of it!

NatureFish
????

Got it. I think there was some confusion because the thread started out with an unknown fish ID, then me asking for pics, you saying that you don't have those but you had a pic of something else instead.
Still, pretty cool fish.

There's a lot of darter species out there. I usually get 2 to 3 each time I go out and our area is pretty limited on variety. With how clear it looks im more inclined to think sand darter but I don't know if that area is in range.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom